What's new

Highest quality portable audio solution

gangolfus

High end audio is like high end wine; can I taste the difference between a $9 bottle and a $109 bottle. Of course. Is the difference worth the money to most people? No.

If it is worth it to you, and you have the means, more power to you. The rest of the 99% of the population is just going to look at you funny.

crackinhedz

First of all, it is a very high quality DAC (digital to analog converter) and class A amplifier. If you put an optical out (digital), you would do away with its best feature. They also include a 6" usb extender cable with the geekout. You can use that if you don't want it hanging onto the side. You can also output to a pair of powered speakers if you don't want to use a headphone while at your desk. This product is not meant for you if you are happy with the quality of audio that you get from the headphone jack.

Please notice that this thread is called: Highest quality portable audio solution
Sorry, wasnt trying to detract from the DAC being used as I agree is most important for sound quality...I was thinking more so being able to connect to external receivers using optical since most receivers if any dont have usb audio capable. An optical out from the surface pro usb would be great (for versatility), which I can already use a Behringer USB to Optical solution for cheap. But If you incorporated an Optical Out (to provide all digital route) with the high end DAC i think you might find more interest, at least for me at that price point. The Surface Pro only has 1 usb, I have to make it count! An all in one solution would be ideal, Just my $.02

OP
M

mlknez

Sorry, wasnt trying to detract from the DAC being used as I agree is most important for sound quality...I was thinking more so being able to connect to external receivers using optical since most receivers if any dont have usb audio capable. An optical out from the surface pro usb would be great (for versatility), which I can already use a Behringer USB to Optical solution for cheap. But If you incorporated an Optical Out (to provide all digital route) with the high end DAC i think you might find more interest, at least for me at that price point. The Surface Pro only has 1 usb, I have to make it count! An all in one solution would be ideal, Just my $.02

Again, the thread is about a "portable" solution.

crackinhedz

Again, the thread is about a "portable" solution.
I guess your definition of portable is different than mine.

Seeing as this is the Surface Pro forums, I consider "portable" to be anywhere my Surface Pro goes. Sure I love to be able to hear quality audio through headphones, but also would like ability to be more versatile such as taking my Surface Pro into the living room and connect to my home theater system. I also use my Surface Pro for tuning and listening to music in my Car's audio (DSP). Optical provides that connection (Bluetooth works also but not as reliable and quality is more compressed)

Im just saying you might be limiting your customer base by omitting additional/optional features commonly found on other less expensive products.

Again, the Surface Pro has only one USB port. Id like to make the most of it.