What's new

Highest quality portable audio solution

mlknez

If you want your SurfacePro to be the best quality portable audio player:

1. Purchase a Geekout by LH Labs. Geek by LH Labs
2. Install the Geekout ASIO driver
3. Install Foobar2000 and add the ASIO input/output components
4. Install the Foobar2000 SACD and DVD-Audio components

At this point, you will be able to play any music file at any resolution and have it sound amazing. Please purchase a decent set of earphones/headphones to not waste the quality.

revmike

That guy got $300,000 on kickstarter to produce that thing and he wants $200.00 a pop? It may be high end audio, but it's end is too high for me to reach.

OP
M

mlknez

That guy got $300,000 on kickstarter to produce that thing and he wants $200.00 a pop? It may be high end audio, but it's end is too high for me to reach.

Yet people will spend $400 on an ipod that sounds awful in comparison?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the reaction you're getting is generally people buy solutions like the Surface for Portability and a USB Audio Device impedes the mobile nature of the device. Also not many people are buying iPod anymore they are much more likely to use a Smartphone or Tablet. I personally use my Lumia 1520 for my music.

crackinhedz

Seeing as it sticks out so much, I can see it being broke very easily. They should have at least included an Optical output as well to connect to external sound systems if you so choose, $200 for a fancy headphone jack? no way.

OP
M

mlknez

Seeing as it sticks out so much, I can see it being broke very easily. They should have at least included an Optical output as well to connect to external sound systems if you so choose, $200 for a fancy headphone jack? no way.
First of all, it is a very high quality DAC (digital to analog converter) and class A amplifier. If you put an optical out (digital), you would do away with its best feature. They also include a 6" usb extender cable with the geekout. You can use that if you don't want it hanging onto the side. You can also output to a pair of powered speakers if you don't want to use a headphone while at your desk. This product is not meant for you if you are happy with the quality of audio that you get from the headphone jack.

Please notice that this thread is called: Highest quality portable audio solution

OP
M

mlknez

I have a question mlknez? And I'm just being curious, did you buy one?

Yes, I do have one. I have also purchased an Audioquest Firefly, Meridian Director, Cambridge Dac Magic, and Audioengine DAC. I tested all of them out and the GeekOut is the most flexible and best sounding solution for getting inexpensive, high quality audio out of a USB port. I kept the GeekOut.