What's new

justme0406

I've had my surface laptop for a while now and it won't boot anymore! I push the power button and the Surface logo flashes for less then a second then the screen goes black, keyboard stays backlit for another 15 to 30 seconds then also shuts off, I can keep doing this over and over, if i hold the power button it just cycles every 30ish seconds, I have tried to get into the uefi but it just won't, is there some key combo to act like a battery pull or anybody have any ideas?? please help...

OP
J

justme0406

They had no idea, they just swapped it for me the other day, wish i knew what it was, kinda scary since these can't be repaired at all

Plantje

The fact that non-Microsoft people mark a device as non-repairable doesn't mean Microsoft can't repair it either :)
But good thing that they swapped it.

OP
J

justme0406

I don't mean to be disrespectful but the surface laptop is a non repairable unit, that is fact, you can't even open it, Microsoft doesn't offer repairs for it at all, unless it's software it can't be fixed, that's why i was so desperate to see if anyone had an idea how to get it to boot, a button combo or something because if Microsoft didn't swap it i'd be screwed: Microsoft Surface Laptop Teardown

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mean to be disrespectful but the surface laptop is a non repairable unit, that is fact, you can't even open it, Microsoft doesn't offer repairs for it at all, unless it's software it can't be fixed, that's why i was so desperate to see if anyone had an idea how to get it to boot, a button combo or something because if Microsoft didn't swap it i'd be screwed: Microsoft Surface Laptop Teardown
More nuanced than that - the Surface Devices are not Field Repairable but they are repairable. The swap them and they are sent to Factory Authorized Repair facilities (there are 4 that I know of in the US) that have the correct tools to evaluate and refurbish the devices under factory conditions with factory trained repair technicians.

Plantje

You're not being disrespectful at all! You just state what you understood and you do it in a descent manner. Everyone should do it that way :)

More nuanced than that - the Surface Devices are not Field Repairable but they are repairable. The swap them and they are sent to Factory Authorized Repair facilities (there are 4 that I know of in the US) that have the correct tools to evaluate and refurbish the devices under factory conditions with factory trained repair technicians.
That's what I meant as well

Every electronics is repairable by the manufacturer as they have the right tools to work with. So, in such condition when our system or any other electronics product is in warranty period then we should send the product to manufacturer service station.

grihshobha

I've had my surface laptop for a while now and it won't boot anymore! I push the power button and the Surface logo flashes for less then a second then the screen goes black, keyboard stays backlit for another 15 to 30 seconds then also shuts off, I can keep doing this over and over, if i hold the power button it just cycles every 30ish seconds, I have tried to get into the uefi but it just won't, is there some key combo to act like a battery pull or anybody have any ideas?? please help...
Perform a hard reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds, release it, then press it again to turn on the laptop.