What's new

Solved Help: Speakers not getting sound

heyyou

I just recently updated my Surface Pro 3, but I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem.

I'm not getting any sound playing out of the built-in speakers on the computer. Increasing the volume doesn't help, there's still no sound. I tried restarting my Surface Pro 3, but still not getting any sound.

Headphones work just fine on the computer. I also tried USB speakers (the kind that doesn't use the earphone jack), and that also works just fine. It's just the speakers built into the Surface Pro 3 that's not getting any audio.

Can anybody please help me?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are your speakers listed under your playback devices? when no headphones are plugged in, are the speakers marked as active or default?

OP
H

heyyou

Yes. The speakers are on my playback list as the default device. I also opened its properties and the Device Usage is "Use this device (enable)"

Can you help?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you open the properties window for your speakers and go to advanced, does anything happen if you change the audio quality setting and then try the test tone?

OP
H

heyyou

If I use the same audio quality and press TEST, it says:

The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again.

If I try to change the audio quality and test it, it says:

The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?
- Yes

Failed to play test tone.

malberttoo

If I use the same audio quality and press TEST, it says:

The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again.

If I try to change the audio quality and test it, it says:

The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?
- Yes

Failed to play test tone.

Go to Control Panel (press Win + X for the shortcut menu), then Programs and features, then "view installed updates". Do you see "KB2962407"?

OP
H

heyyou

No I don't see it. Here's what I do see:

Microsoft Visual ++ 2010
KB2565063

Everything afterwards, I see:

Update for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)
Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)
Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB#######)

And so on.

I don't see those exact numbers you asked.

OP
H

heyyou

Am I supposed to see only "KB2962407"?

Or is it supposed to look like "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2962407)" or something like that?

malberttoo

Am I supposed to see only "KB2962407"?

Or is it supposed to look like "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2962407)" or something like that?

I would say if that number shows up in any way, then that's what you're looking for.

OP
H

heyyou

The closest I found was "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2962409)"

Are you sure there isn't any other number that I should be looking out for?

malberttoo

The closest I found was "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2962409)"

Are you sure there isn't any other number that I should be looking out for?

I'm not sure, sorry. My info was based on the link I posted above. I saw a ton of pages talking about the same issue, same Windows Update.