What's new

Solved HELP please: Calibration is detrimental to the precision and operation of the pen and touch?!?

Maverick911

Hi everyone, I'm Nico, I'm italian and I have bought my new Surface PRO 3 quattro days ago (I love it so much, my version has i5/256gb/8gbRAM)) but i have discovered a strange thing: if I use the default PEN and TOUCH settings, my SP3 work very properly and the accuracy of the input (pen and touch) is very good. But, later an accurate PEN and TOUCH calibration, they begin to run approximately and, in some points of the screen, they do not allow to work with precision. Can you give me advice on how to solve? I also tried to re-initialize the system but have not solved!

I am the only one who has noticed this? Your device, after calibration, will be problems and / or inaccuracies (pen and touch)? You can do some testing? :(

So, actually I can return to the store it and replace it with a new one .... but do you think it's worth it?

Many thanks in advance!! :)

hi nico

have you tried doing a windows refresh / restore to see if it was the same in an out-of-the-box condition?

If it is, then definately warranty case, if it returns to normal then you may have inadvertantly touched the screen during the caliubration with your finger or hand. I did that, it royally screws it up!

NClens

What I have noticed on mine is that the pen calibration seems to assume the pen is held perpendicular to the screen. The greater the angle I was holding the pen when trying to calibrate the system, the more strange the calibration result I would get. Like you, I've found that it's easier to just not calibrate.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I calibrated the pen once and it was terrible, worked much better once I removed the calibration data! I think the calibration setting is more for other win 8 pen devices and not really for the surface pen/screen

OP
M

Maverick911

Good evening everyone, fortunately I just went to the store and I replaced the SP3 with another one. Now, everything works perfectly ...! :) Tthanks a lot for your help and your post. Excuse me for my imperfect English... anyway, I am happy to have discovered this beautiful forum!

:)

Liam2349

There was nothing wrong with your device - calibrating the pen yourself will make the tracking worse. Instead, you have to reset the calibration, rather than calibrating it yourself.

bluegrass

Hi everyone, I'm Nico, I'm italian and I have bought my new Surface PRO 3 quattro days ago (I love it so much, my version has i5/256gb/8gbRAM)) but i have discovered a strange thing: if I use the default PEN and TOUCH settings, my SP3 work very properly and the accuracy of the input (pen and touch) is very good. But, later an accurate PEN and TOUCH calibration, they begin to run approximately and, in some points of the screen, they do not allow to work with precision. Can you give me advice on how to solve? I also tried to re-initialize the system but have not solved!

I am the only one who has noticed this? Your device, after calibration, will be problems and / or inaccuracies (pen and touch)? You can do some testing? :(

So, actually I can return to the store it and replace it with a new one .... but do you think it's worth it?

Many thanks in advance!! :)

Undo the calibration if you can. You just discovered a dirty little secret that most techs know - If it ain't broke don't fix it. In another words don't go tweakin' around when things are working well. Diggin' will most times turn up dirt.