What's new

Help needed with i3/64gb SP3

qwertyy

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to computers so I really need some help with this SP3 model, which I am planning on buying.

I originally had the i5/256gb model but returned it and now I'm thinking of buying the most basic option because I already have a macbook.

I'm just going to be using this SP3 in lectures to take notes with the ntrig pen. Storage-wise, I think 64gb is sufficient because I'm only going to be dealing with pdf files. But I'm not sure if other specs like i3, 4gb of RAM, etc., are going to be sufficient for my usage.

Any advise would be appreciated :) Also, is there anyone else using this low option SP3 who would like to share some experience?

BillJ

The i3 cpu will be more than adequate for web browsing, note taking, watching videos and the like. A faster processor would only be needed for cpu intensive activities, such as the processing of huge data files, graphics programs such as Photoshop, video editing, and advanced game playing.
If you keep your data on OneDrive, the 64 g memory will not be overwhelmed.
If you buy the device, worst case scenario is you find it does not meet your needs, and you can return it.

malberttoo

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to computers so I really need some help with this SP3 model, which I am planning on buying.

I originally had the i5/256gb model but returned it and now I'm thinking of buying the most basic option because I already have a macbook.

I'm just going to be using this SP3 in lectures to take notes with the ntrig pen. Storage-wise, I think 64gb is sufficient because I'm only going to be dealing with pdf files. But I'm not sure if other specs like i3, 4gb of RAM, etc., are going to be sufficient for my usage.

Any advise would be appreciated :) Also, is there anyone else using this low option SP3 who would like to share some experience?

If you are going to be using almost exclusively for note taking, the i3 should do just fine for you.

mennogreg

Billj's advice is spot-on. To address your other concerns, 4GB should be more than enough to do what you're looking to do, and then some. I also own am 4GB SP1 that I purchased after my (8GB) SP2 was stolen, and I initially thought the difference in RAM was going to be a major handicap, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Whether that was due to the improved memory management of Windows 8.1, or having the page file on an SSD, I have no idea, but it handled whatever I threw at it (within reason, of course). As for the SSD, if OneDrive isn't an option and you ever need more space, you can pop in a MicroSD card.

OP
Q

qwertyy

Thanks everyone :)
Just another question not really related to the topic, are screen protectors mandatory if I'm going to be using the pen frequently? Does the screen get scratched easily?

Liam2349

Thanks everyone :)
Just another question not really related to the topic, are screen protectors mandatory if I'm going to be using the pen frequently? Does the screen get scratched easily?

It's not absolutely necessary - I did go for a tempered glass one though, as they are amazing... but it was damaged in transit after I waited 10 days for delivery :/

I still want another though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The screen should not be damaged by the pen as long as you use the right writing pen. :) You might need extra nibs for the pen though as they do wear. an extra pen might not be a bad idea either if note taking is that important.

The pen is mightier than the finger.

nnthemperor

i3 user here. Main use scenario is notetaking, marking up PDFs with both Bluebeam Revue and DrawBoard, and of course MS office. No issues at all. More than enough power and an almost all day battery power.

On screen protectors, bought one here in Japan. A waste of my money, it was absolutely impossible to use the pen as the friction was crazy. Took it off, and have never bothered with one again.

Liam2349

i3 user here. Main use scenario is notetaking, marking up PDFs with both Bluebeam Revue and DrawBoard, and of course MS office. No issues at all. More than enough power and an almost all day battery power.

On screen protectors, bought one here in Japan. A waste of my money, it was absolutely impossible to use the pen as the friction was crazy. Took it off, and have never bothered with one again.

You should try a tempered glass screen protector - they work.

dportal2006

The regular i3 processor is more than enough for everyday tasks like browsing the Web and making word document. If you are going to be using Photos hop and graphic intensive programs then you should not get that model. I made the mistake of purchasing the 64 gb model on my Surface Pro 2 a year ago. Storage goes away faster than you think. In ended up buying the SP3 128 gb model this time.