What's new

Help changing resolution of virtual display

cazwell220

I have a quick question... I'm trying to create a virtual second monitor on Surface Pro 3 to use a another computer along with teamviewer as a make-shift second screen over LAN.

I'm able to successfully create the ghost display, but the resolution is stuck at 1280 x 768. I would like to change the resolution to 1280 x 800 or 1920 x 1080, but the option is locked and I cannot change it.

Any suggestions? I'm so close... if I could just change the resolution I'd be ACES!!! Pictures below....

PS... I've already tried the naitive Intel graphics drivers, but with those I can't even create the ghost display at all.

Step 1: Click Detect from "Screen Resolution" window
upload_2015-1-3_11-28-19.png

Step 2: This shows the "Another display not detected" option
upload_2015-1-3_11-28-53.png

Step 3: Change "Multiple displays" to "Try to connect anyway on: VGA" then click "Apply"
upload_2015-1-3_11-29-38.png

Step 4: Now I have a virtual second display, but I cannot change the resolution. Any help would be much appreciated!!!
upload_2015-1-3_11-30-42.png

surfdock

Just so I understand your scenario a little better...
- You have a Surface Pro 3
- You have another PC
- You have the teamviewer software installed on both machines
- You want to use your SP3 as the primary system and use the monitor attached to the other PC as an extended monitor

What screen resolution is the other PC set to? You may be limited to whatever resolutions are available on that PC. Try setting the res on that PC to something else to see if the behavior changes.

I suspect the issue you're having isn't specific to Surface at all and is a typical issue encountered when using Teamviewer across devices with different screen resolution limitations. You may want to collect your log files and pictures of your config and consult http://teamviewerforums.com

OP
C

cazwell220

Hey there surfdock... Thanks for taking a second to help me wrestle with this one.

- I do have a Surface Pro 3 - i7/256 with Intel 5000 graphics (official MS/Intel driver version 3496)
- I have a few other PC's ... but specifically I'm trying to use an Asus VivoTab Note 8 as a second screen (1280 x 800 resolution)
- I do have teamviewer installed on both computers
- I want the primary display on the SP3 as well as a virtual display on the SP3 ... then view the virtual/phantom/ghost display created on the SP3 on the Asus. This would create a sudo-extended monitor over the network.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with the Asus @ 1280 x 800... it has to do with the driver and setting on the SP3 for the virtual/ghost display. I can create this "fake" display on the Surface and I can login with Teamviewer from the Asus just as I am conceptualizing... but the resolution on the SP3 is stuck at 1280 x 720... and leaves black bars on the top and the bottom when viewing on the Asus. So... it actually works brilliantly... but I can't change the resolution on the SP3 to the native resolution of the Asus... it's greyed out and stuck. :(

Teamviewer will adjust to whatever the source resolution you log into...

I feel like I'm VERY close and that there is possibly a registery entry I can tweak... or a group policy I can change to force different resolutions on the phantom monitor that the intel driver on the Surface is creating.

If you have any leads... or possible suggestions... I am all eyes and ears! :D

Thanks for jumping in. This would really be a neat way to create an extended monitor using any computer since I already use Teamviewer extensively as it is and wouldn't need to install any other programs.

Mark

surfdock

Oh I see - you have a slightly different scenario than what I envisioned. You can try adding 1280x800 as a custom resolution to the SP3 Intel driver. Check my blog post for details on the tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx

You can ignore the first half of the post and skip to the Intel driver portion. I'm not sure this will work for your scenario but worth a try. There may be other settings in the Intel control panel you'll have to tweak as well.

OP
C

cazwell220

Hi surfdoc, again... I appreciate the attempt, but it's not allowing the not-real monitor to change. It's not terrible as it is still useful, but it would be nice to be able to resize it to match whatever device I planned to stream it to.

Might have to just give up on this one as a limitation of the software. Because it's entirely software that is preventing this... dunno how to get around it.