What's new

heat and fan issue when nothing is running, screen is just on.

Kris

I've recently noticed if I just leave my SP3 on, no apps open, and have the screen on, showing the desktop, it becomes hotter than when playing a game or anything else. Of course the fan is on full blast. Right after noticing this I tried to see if I could get the thermometer shut down by playing Starcraft 2... Funny thing is the temp went down and the fan stopped at times. Rebooting does not fix the issue.

I have a screen shot of task manager while it's happening...
Screenshot (1).png

mahdi75

Sometimes mine also does this if I leave it alone. (I left task manager open and I saw that System and/or Antimalware takes CPU power)
But as soon as I touched the screen or moved the cursor, these processes stopped eating CPU.
Seems that it's an automated Maintenance which occurs when PC is idle.

mitchellvii

System Updates, antivirus etc will do this occasionally. If my virus protection was running that often I'd do a full deep virus scan, sounds concerning.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone at MS needs to adjust what background processing is... its good that it stops immediately but it shouldn't be running that aggressively. The Defender scan is not very efficient. Think smarter not harder.

gkarg

Yes, the reason is Antimaleware Service Executable. But the important question is - do you have the same problem with Windows 8.1 ? If not, please report this problem with the Windows 10 Feedback App - you know, that this is a beta version.

Gkarg

ctitanic

Someone at MS needs to adjust what background processing is... its good that it stops immediately but it shouldn't be running that aggressively. The Defender scan is not very efficient. Think smarter not harder.
Like somebody already said, disabling Windows Defender and installing AVG is a good workaround.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like somebody already said, disabling Windows Defender and installing AVG is a good workaround.
MS needs the feedback though... oh wait with all the data collection they already have it. Still, having data and knowing what to do with it are two entirely different things. Like they don't already know Defender is inefficient. The trouble with eating your own dog food is, you can become used to it and dismiss things as 'normal'.

ctitanic

MS needs the feedback though... oh wait with all the data collection they already have it. Still, having data and knowing what to do with it are two entirely different things. Like they don't already know Defender is inefficient. The trouble with eating your own dog food is, you can become used to it and dismiss things as 'normal'.
Agree with each single word you just have said.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kris

They are about the same in my opinion.
Damn that means I will have to decide what one to use instead of someone telling me... lol thank you though it is good to know if I try one and find that I don't like it I can switch to the other one...