What's new

Have just a little patience left for a fix for the speaker pop and display driver error!!!!

one028

I didn't pay $1400 to have a laptop that annoys me to no end from day one..... if the damn speaker popping and the display driver errors don't get fixed asap.... this POS is going back...I swore I was done with Apple and sold my MacBook.... but damn, Apple is looking like the better choice for me.

leeshor

My SP4 is not experiencing those issues and it also seems that those in the Insider program aren't either, (I'm still stock but fully updated). I suspect everyone may see the newer version, "Fall update" by the end of this coming week.

Save the little patience remaining. ;)

Carolv

My SP4 is not experiencing those issues and it also seems that those in the Insider program aren't either, (I'm still stock but fully updated). I suspect everyone may see the newer version, "Fall update" by the end of this coming week.

Save the little patience remaining. ;)

It is pretty frustrating. I had to reboot mine numerous times just now to get the flickering and transparent screen to stop. I'm hoping there will be a fix next week otherwise I may exchange mine. My fear though is that the new one will be worse. LOL I may even try to reset to factory before I would exchange and see if that fixes anything. I wonder if anyone has tried to do a reset and if so if it fixed anything.

kundas1

first try to uninstall the drivers and manually install it for your video and audio then reboot and re-install them and that might fix your problem... then if that doesn't fix it then make a factory restore and if that fails replace your device...I think the chances of you NOT getting a new device is slim as they are still relatively new... but don't give up on it because your only 1 of a hundred thousand that are working fine.

Carolv

first try to uninstall the drivers and manually install it for your video and audio then reboot and re-install them and that might fix your problem... then if that doesn't fix it then make a factory restore and if that fails replace your device...I think the chances of you NOT getting a new device is slim as they are still relatively new... but don't give up on it because your only 1 of a hundred thousand that are working fine.

Do you have a link for the video driver.

kundas1

sorry I don't... I know you can get it from intel, someone else will be able to tell you better than me.

robertcan

It is pretty frustrating. I had to reboot mine numerous times just now to get the flickering and transparent screen to stop. I'm hoping there will be a fix next week otherwise I may exchange mine. My fear though is that the new one will be worse. LOL I may even try to reset to factory before I would exchange and see if that fixes anything. I wonder if anyone has tried to do a reset and if so if it fixed anything.

Yep, MS performed a factory reset on mine. Didn't fix a single issue.

ElCamino78s

Tx, Just saved me a couple hours. :)

I got the SB on Saturday and had the popping speaker when in the browser. Did all the updates and seems to have fixed it for me. Though I did go to the MS Store to actually fix my SP4 that was having issues, they gave me a replacement after they couldn't get it to work. So my wife took the SP4 and I got the SB i7 256GB 8GB.

The new SP4 was making the speaker pop a lot when we got home. I uninstalled the audio drivers in device manager, rebooted and went to windows update, it installed the drivers and no more speaker popping.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the SB on Saturday and had the popping speaker when in the browser. Did all the updates and seems to have fixed it for me. Though I did go to the MS Store to actually fix my SP4 that was having issues, they gave me a replacement after they couldn't get it to work. So my wife took the SP4 and I got the SB i7 256GB 8GB.

The new SP4 was making the speaker pop a lot when we got home. I uninstalled the audio drivers in device manager, rebooted and went to windows update, it installed the drivers and no more speaker popping.
Sometimes it does it more than others, no obvious rhyme or reason, but I did all that except for Reset and I have a replacement that does exactly the same or it may be slightly worse. One or both are going back this week depending on the effect of any updates.

If low level driver changes are made to mask hardware glitches it may not crash or pop but might still be herky, jerky, and quirky. Perhaps even all together ooky, spooky, mysterious and kooky it will be the Addams Family Surface. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, MS performed a factory reset on mine. Didn't fix a single issue.
I decided to go ahead and Reset since this is likely to go back anyway so what the heck. It didn't fix anything for me either. YMMV you never know, you might get lucky.