What's new

Hating my new SPro 3 >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there is a limitation you should see it in all devices not just the SP3.
Not necessarily, if it fails to negotiate an optimal setup with the Marvell Avastar chipset/driver it might still be a firmware issue even if it negotiates better settings with other devices. your assumption that all devices operate the same is incorrect.

If it hasn't been done it needs to be done.

But there are a whole raft of other issues as well... just the tip of the iceberg
This Is Why Your Wi-Fi Is Always Slow
10 reasons your Wi-Fi speed stinks (and what you can do about it)

It could be your other devices are causing the problem.

The surest way to never fix a problem is to do nothing.

OP
M

Moki

Hi, there. Well, I have to go with theoriginalgiga's response. I'm perusing a microsoft forum directly related to this and it's definitely NOT the router. I'm not a super techie, but know enough to try to troubleshoot if I have some help.

It is absolutely ridiculous to make a statement that I should just buy a new router and "accept" that I will have crappy connections elsewhere. I bought this device specifically so I could be mobile, as I travel quite a bit. There is no excuse for the SP3 wifi problems that are painfully evident if you check around online. I don't know what circumstance causes one SP3 to work fine and another to suffer this plague. But, I do know that there are many, many others who are having the same problem as I. So, I will not be buying a new router until I can discern whether or not there is hope for me to use my SP3 on any wifi connection as the other lucky ones are able to.

I would appreciate replies from those who are willing to help me proceed in this direction. I can run tests, whatever, and am willing to, but I don't have a ton of dough to throw around in order to do so. Heh, I already spent a very considerable amount on my SP3, I should NOT have to spend more to figure this out.

So, last night after I posted, I disconnected/reconnected to the router, unstalled/resinstalled the driver and disabled/re-enabled the network adapter. I moved around the house and was surprised to find that I was getting a faster connection than usual. Not super snappy, but well, workable. This morning as well. However, periodically it would freeze up, getting progressively worse to the point that I've had to move back out to be near the router again.

So, I figured I'd check in before I do those three things again, to see what anyone has to offer in trying to troubleshoot (without buying a new router). PS. I turned off all my other wifi devices to see if that had any effect. NONE.

Last edited:
OP
M

Moki

Okay, so since my last post, no one has been able to add anything. I'm going to ask mods to close this thread (NOT solved, though). I'm jumping over to the thread Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here (17 pages and counting!) and will continue over there instead.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this specific thread for wifi issues existed, (yes, I did search, but my SP3 was/is finicky and I have trouble getting to pages at times) so it would be great if others in the future who ask for help with their wifi probledms were referred there instead - if pertinent and appropriate. Keep it all in the same place, as it were.

Hopefully, I will find my solution as I continue perusing. Running out of time : (

Last edited:

Theoriginalgiga

Sorry, I didn't see your post from last night. Would you like to test to validate it's the SP3 is the issue or try rolling back your drivers which seemed to work for me?

malberttoo

Okay, so since my last post, no one has been able to add anything. I'm going to ask mods to close this thread (NOT solved, though). I'm jumping over to the thread Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here (17 pages and counting!) and will continue over there instead.

I didn't know there was a specific thread for wifi issues, (yes, I did search, but my SP3 was/is finicky and I have trouble getting to pages at times) so it would be great if others in the future who ask for help with their wifi issues were referred there instead if pertinent and appropriate. Keep it all in the same place, as it were.

Hopefully, I will find my solution as I continue perusing. Running out of time : (

IF after a clean install of the OS on your SP3, and then you continue to have issues when connected to random different AP's, then you probably have a hardware issue and would be worth getting the unit replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.