What's new

Hating my new SPro 3 >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moki

I have had nothing but problems with my new Surface Pro 3, and I'm really hoping that someone, somewhere, can help me. It has been virtually unusable since I got it about a week ago. I'll start with the first problem: The supposedly fixed wifi issue.

My SP3 connects intermittently. Sometimes I'm on, sometimes I'm not. I try turning it off and back on. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. All my other devices, 2 desktops and my smartphone, are lightening fast on my wifi. When I am connected with my SP3, it is usually so slow that I can't even use it. I just turn it off and go back to my smartphone or a desktop. If I have a somewhat decent connection (rare) and I close the keyboard), when I open it, the connection usually sucks again. What a waste of a ton of money. If I can't get it fixed, I'm just going to have to return it. I had such high hopes. : (

So far I've tried:
1. Making sure Hyper-V is turned off.
2. Setting it so it uses 2.4ghz on the wifi rather than Auto.
3. Turned off (for now) the MS Virtual Adapter so it does not allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

4. I have checked and re-checked Windows update. It always says there are new updates, but it won't tell me what they are, just that they will be installed shortly. Always, every time. I looked at the install history, even writing down which was successful and which failed (a lot), and compared. This is a very perplexing thing: I show several updates installing successfully, then, at a later date, the same update tried to install (again??) and failed. Sometimes it tries to install AGAIN and again and is successful, other times it fails repeatedly. Even after it has installed the update successfully at one point. What the heck? I really have no way that I know of to see which updates are actively installed and working. So, this might be part of the problem, but I can't fix it because every time I go to the update website, it does not allow me to select specific updates anymore to install them, or even see which ones are actually and truly functioning. Maybe there's some way, I'd like to know if there is.

I've spent THREE days searching, searching, searching to try and find a way to fix this. My gosh, I don't have any more time to waste! I need a fix, or, if there isn't one, just tell me so I can pack this thing up and return it.

I have other problems with my SP3, but I think this is the most important issue to address first. And maybe fixing this will fix the others. Hopes.

Please, can anyone help me get this solved? I would really, truly and gratefully appreciate it. I'm at my wit's end. I want to like this device, not despise it. Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would start by doing a factory reset, then before installing anything run your Windows Updates, then install and configure what you need. I would say that fixes these issues for about 95% of the people. Also, many Antivirus titles cause the issues with Updates, Bitdefender is a biggie but there are others as well.

OP
M

Moki

Thank you very much - I will start with that. I have not installed any antivirus software, I think I'll be okay with Defender. I am a very conscientious user, only going to sites that are known to be secure, and have never had a problem using MS standard antivirus and firewall software.

I actually haven't installed anything yet except Steam, but that was just last night when my connection was quasi-cooperating (took a loooonnggg time and a couple of resets!); the problems existed before I did that, so Steam is not the issue.

I'll post back once I do the reset and test it, to let you know if it worked (fingers crossed).

malberttoo

Thank you very much - I will start with that. I have not installed any antivirus software, I think I'll be okay with Defender. I am a very conscientious user, only going to sites that are known to be secure, and have never had a problem using MS standard antivirus and firewall software.

I actually haven't installed anything yet except Steam, but that was just last night when my connection was quasi-cooperating (took a loooonnggg time and a couple of resets!); the problems existed before I did that, so Steam is not the issue.

I'll post back once I do the reset and test it, to let you know if it worked (fingers crossed).

I second what Jeff said above. My brand new, out of the box SP3 was so buggy, it was so frustrating. Three weeks later I did a full reset on it, and it was a properly running machine after that.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Moki

Sorry to hear about those problems.
This is the right site for help.

Let us know of your progress, and we will continue to play doctor enough to figure out if you really have a bad machine (doubt it, but possible). You have a big investment in the Surface Pro 3, we will help you make that work, as we can.

PS: My $.02
Another thing to try:
Make sure Bluetooth is ON, and Wifi is ON, then in Adapter Settings, disable, then REMOVE your WiFi adapter and its drivers, then immediately shut down by holding in the power button.

kozak79

Which router do you have? It's sounds like pretty dumb advice that to fix the SP3 wifi issues you should replace your router, but that's what I did. I had a Linksys E3000 router, top of the line when I bought it a few years back, but the surface would always have the limited problem and when watching the bandwidth speed it would constantly jump from 10 mbps to 100 mbps. I finally just bought an AC router and my connection now hovers at 800 mbps. No drops, no limited connection. It actually improved the wifi on all my devices, especially my older laptop which doesn't even support AC, but now has a solid 300 mbps instead of the ~140mbps it used to have.

This is the router I bought:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

malberttoo

Which router do you have? It's sounds like pretty dumb advice that to fix the SP3 wifi issues you should replace your router, but that's what I did. I had a Linksys E3000 router, top of the line when I bought it a few years back, but the surface would always have the limited problem and when watching the bandwidth speed it would constantly jump from 10 mbps to 100 mbps. I finally just bought an AC router and my connection now hovers at 800 mbps. No drops, no limited connection. It actually improved the wifi on all my devices, especially my older laptop which doesn't even support AC, but now has a solid 300 mbps instead of the ~140mbps it used to have.

This is the router I bought:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

True. The newer the router, the less chance you will have of compatibility issues with your SP3. Also don't forget to make sure your router firmware is up to date as well.

OP
M

Moki

Hello, everyone that has been helping! Okay so I did the factory reset, and it is much better. Still not up to speed with my other devices, but it's def usable now. I will look in to purchasing a new router for sure, to see if that will improve my connection to the SP3. As I said before, my other devices are quite speedy on my current router...I have a feeling that this new little gadget is going to cost me a ton of dough to get it up to acceptable working levels, which is pretty disappointing considering how much I've already spent just to buy the darn thing. Oh, and I will check the other settings as suggested and report back on the results as well.

So, for now, on to the next annoyance: Windows Update. Ugh...I used to be able to set WHEN to install them. In the mornings I like to read the news with my coffee before work. I only have 20 mins or so. Well, hooray, SP3 <sarcasm>, you've taken that away from me. I turn it on and snap! Updating, don't turn off your computer! Then it runs and runs and won't let me sign on, so there goes my coveted brief morning ritual. Hate still pending.

For example, right now I'm typing this on my mobile phone because when I pushed the start button, it said it needed to install updates. That was *over an hour ago* and its still showing that ridiculous circle of balls/and saying "restarting" Wait! It just now finally said it's working on updates. An hour to get moving to that point? Not acceptable.

I know there's got to be a way to control the time it updates, yes?

And any other suggestions / thoughts (such as how can I see which updates aresolidly installed and actively applied?) Regarding Windows Updates on the SP3.

Continued thanks for everyone's time and wonderful assistance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, everyone that has been helping! Okay so I did the factory reset, and it is much better. Still not up to speed with my other devices, but it's def usable now. I will look in to purchasing a new router for sure, to see if that will improve my connection to the SP3. As I said before, my other devices are quite speedy on my current router...I have a feeling that this new little gadget is going to cost me a ton of dough to get it up to acceptable working levels, which is pretty disappointing considering how much I've already spent just to buy the darn thing. Oh, and I will check the other settings as suggested and report back on the results as well.

So, for now, on to the next annoyance: Windows Update. Ugh...I used to be able to set WHEN to install them. In the mornings I like to read the news with my coffee before work. I only have 20 mins or so. Well, hooray, SP3 <sarcasm>, you've taken that away from me. I turn it on and snap! Updating, don't turn off your computer! Then it runs and runs and won't let me sign on, so there goes my coveted brief morning ritual. Hate still pending.

For example, right now I'm typing this on my mobile phone because when I pushed the start button, it said it needed to install updates. That was *over an hour ago* and its still showing that ridiculous circle of balls/and saying "restarting" Wait! It just now finally said it's working on updates. An hour to get moving to that point? Not acceptable.

I know there's got to be a way to control the time it updates, yes?

And any other suggestions / thoughts (such as how can I see which updates aresolidly installed and actively applied?) Regarding Windows Updates on the SP3.

Continued thanks for everyone's time and wonderful assistance.

RE scheduled updates, have you tried this?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/6cc3f635-74e8-45a0-8188-9971ed54ccfa?auth=1

Its been a while since I used 8.1 in any depth, but I am pretty sure I saw the ability to do such a thing on the sp3

I don't get why some people need to do a full reset on a brand new SP3 LOL. I have never reset mine and never had issues with WiFi no matter where I go. I also get my full 300 Mbps internet using Wireless connection. Mine never drops at all and it's just as fast as my all other 802.11ac devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.