What's new

Has anyone fixed Chrome?

GoodBytes

That doesn't work for IE in Metro mode, unfortunately.
IE in Metro mode does not support any plug-ins or add-ons, except Flash, and even then that was initially for select web site until demand made Microsoft change that.
The decision for that was for security reasons.

IE's adblock doesn't seem as robust as FF/Chrome though. ABP for IE (was called Simple Adblock?) can only use one filter list at a time, less configurable, and I think enforces "acceptable ads" (which can be good or bad depending on your point of view). And as mentioned, not available in IE Metro. It also seems to hang up desktop IE more often than FF/Chrome. For example, Yahoo front page seems stuck with perpetual spinning wheel using ABP for IE.
This is the best you can get. And as mentioned IE Metro doesn't support add-ons. You need to make your own web browser.

beq

Sorry didn't mean to come across as rude, was simply discussing my findings after having compared them (including TPLs) in the past. Thanks for the info.

thegrinch

IE in Metro mode does not support any plug-ins or add-ons, except Flash, and even then that was initially for select web site until demand made Microsoft change that.
The decision for that was for security reasons.

This is the best you can get. And as mentioned IE Metro doesn't support add-ons. You need to make your own web browser.

I don't have my SP2 anymore, but if you configured the desktop's IE "Tracking protection" and enabled, say, EasyList to filter ads, this doesn't take effect in metro IE?

RaoYv

Windows Registry editing fixed the font thickness issue for me completely, we can tune the font thickness/darkness by calibrating FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA value to between 150 and 190 hexadecimal( 336 to 400 decimal )

- START -> RUN -> REGEDIT
- search for FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA by keying " Ctrl F " ( will automatically take us to CurrentUser\ControlPanel\Desktop path)
- double-click mouse on FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA enter anything between 150 and 190 hexadecimal.(the Lower the value, the thicker the fonts.)
- close the REGEDIT tool
- LOGOFF and then LOGON

Now all the fonts are very thick & very dark in Chrome Browser.

But we must make sure that ClearType smoothing is enabled in Windows( controlPanel -> personalization -> appearance -> Effects -> ClearType smooth check [ ticked box ] )

OR alternately in RegEdit ...

FONTSMOOTHING=2
FONTSMOOTHINGTYPE=2
FONTSMOOTHINGORIENTATION=1 for LCD-screen, 0 for CRT-screen

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ho hum, so much misinformation above...
You can Configure multiple TPLs in Desktop IE and they'll apply to mui IE also.

You can use negative Hosts file entries to block not just ads but malware and anything else you want.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin8.htm

I have been using this hosts file for a while. It will speed up browsing because your not downloading all the ads, not playing all the flash and storing crap all over your disk and hogging connection bandwidth with superfluous junk you didn't want anyway. side benefit is a lot of those places is where the malware is coming from as well and your not even going to those sites at all. Its not just blocking ads its blocking the connection entirely. The Internet and your computer have been taken over by corporate marketing, take back your computer.

http://www.howtogeek.com/122404/how-to-block-websites-in-windows-8s-hosts-file/

Chrome and AD Block are just different marketing campaigns masquerading as a service. Your being SOLD the goods... don't buy into the program.

Last edited: