What's new

handwriting recognition

joga

Hi,

is anyone using One Note 2013 to take Notes? Is handwriting recognition working for you?

I can write with the stylus in One Note but when i try to convert the text it's doing nothing.

Any ideas?

joga

YKinase

Yes, I use it regularly and have no problems with the conversion. Are you selecting your ink (i.e. lasso selection) then converting to text?

Also - I have not been able to find the handwriting "training" in Windows 8. I used HWR in Win 7 and I remember going through a training tutorial to improve personalized HWR. Either that's missing in Win 8 or I've not found it yet.

OP
J

joga

Yes i selected my handwriting with the lasso selection and then i tried to convert to text. When i do it nothing happens, it's not converting my handwriting. My handwriting is not that bad :)

I did not find the "training" either. Seems to be an "hidden feature".

YKinase

I've looked through the options in OneNote 2013 but could not find something that would completely disable HWR. The only option that may have an influence is the "Pen Mode". Make sure you've selected one of the options with handwriting and not just "drawing".

Does the HWR work in the on-screen keyboard "handwriting" option? Just wondering if it is a system-wide problem or specific to OneNote

OP
J

joga

I use two different languages on my surface pro.

Primary is spanish. Handwrite Recognition works fine in One Note and on the onscreen keyboard.
Secondary language german. Handwrite recognition does not work in One Note and on the onscreen keyboard.

Something went wrong with my second language.

OP
J

joga

I found it. It was a strange issue with the german language package i had installed. Reinstalled the package an now it works fine. I can convert my handwriting to text.

Btw... i found the handwriting "training". It's in "control panel"/"Time, Language,Region"/"Add Language"/. Edit the Options of the installed language.

YKinase

Glad you solved your problem with the Language pack. Thanks for finding the HWR "training"! Wow, that was buried, huh?

(above written with HWR)

Rick Carey

I'm an established, dedicated user of handwriting recognition on a Windows XP Pro Motion LE1600 Tablet since 2006.
I use it in the field holding the tablet in portrait format with its bump case elastic straps on my left hand and scribbling notes on cars at collector car auctions to input text into a dBase IV database using the Lotus Approach front end.
Surface Pro seemed the ideal upgrade, but:
1) the Handwriting Input Panel is fixed at the bottom of the screen which is ineffective when holding the Surface Pro in my left hand; the Input Panel needs to be at the top to balance my hand on the screen; and
2) the Handwriting Input Panel seems to be fixed at two lines; I frequently scribble 8 or 10 or more at a time.
Is there any way to overcome these two limitations?
Without this flexibility the Surface Pro is more of a toy than a useful data input device.

Tom T

I remember my Motion Computing LS 800, I truly loved that slate, but it was designed entirely around pen input. The SP is really not dedicated to pen input, in fact designed more toward touch/keyboard. I don't believe you will get the same user experience here, the SP does many things well but pen input is definitely more of an accessory than a focus. Actually, when I think about it, the SP is kind of a Jack of all trades as it were. It can do just about anything, but it doesn't do everything perfectly.

Telstar1948

I'm an established, dedicated user of handwriting recognition on a Windows XP Pro Motion LE1600 Tablet since 2006.
I use it in the field holding the tablet in portrait format with its bump case elastic straps on my left hand and scribbling notes on cars at collector car auctions to input text into a dBase IV database using the Lotus Approach front end.
Surface Pro seemed the ideal upgrade, but:
1) the Handwriting Input Panel is fixed at the bottom of the screen which is ineffective when holding the Surface Pro in my left hand; the Input Panel needs to be at the top to balance my hand on the screen; and
2) the Handwriting Input Panel seems to be fixed at two lines; I frequently scribble 8 or 10 or more at a time.
Is there any way to overcome these two limitations?
Without this flexibility the Surface Pro is more of a toy than a useful data input device.

I don't use OneNote, but would that work for you rather than the Handwriting Input Panel?

Kalimero

I found it. It was a strange issue with the german language package i had installed. Reinstalled the package an now it works fine. I can convert my handwriting to text.

Btw... i found the handwriting "training". It's in "control panel"/"Time, Language,Region"/"Add Language"/. Edit the Options of the installed language.

Finally someone found out where the training option is hiding. I was searching two days to find it and almost raging because all i found was the guide to use it on vista or win7. Thank you so mich.