What's new

Handwriting experience: "keyboard handwriting" vs OneNote

dimetrio

Hi Guys,

First, a quick prelude, then a question.

Basically, I need to make a lot of hand-written notes (research), and I wanted to use my surface pro 4 for that. The handwriting experience in OneNote is really bad, I think: my handwriting looks horrible, there is half-second lag, etc. However, the way handwriting looks and feels when I use that dark panel at the bottom of the screen for pen-based keyboard input is absolutely marvelous. Really, feels amazing.

So the question is: Is there a way to make handwriting feel like it does n "keayboards->handwriting" panel, but in a full-size app?
Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which OneNote are you using, Mobile or Desktop, if Desktop which version 2013 or 2016? One easy fix to match is to use a medium width pen rather than the fine width, that will mimic the stroke of the Ink Input (aka - the Tablet Input Panel or TIP).

To answer your other question, no the TIP cannot be a full app.

dcoplien

I "write" my notes I in word all the time. Takes some practice but once you get used to it, you can write and transfer to text quite quickly

OP
D

dimetrio

Which OneNote are you using, Mobile or Desktop, if Desktop which version 2013 or 2016? One easy fix to match is to use a medium width pen rather than the fine width, that will mimic the stroke of the Ink Input (aka - the Tablet Input Panel or TIP).

To answer your other question, no the TIP cannot be a full app.

I have both, actually. The desktop version is 2013. They seem to be equally irritating, do you think I have not set them up properly? I am just looking for an app with writing experience similar to TIP (finally I know what that thing is called!), that's all.

OP
D

dimetrio

I "write" my notes I in word all the time. Takes some practice but once you get used to it, you can write and transfer to text quite quickly

yeah, I figured the Word thing out, too. Still not the same as tablet input panel, even though much better than OneNote. Darn, writing in that panel is amazing, why not make it like that everywhere? Maybe I am too picky, or have too weird pet peeves :). My wife agrees that the tablet input panel is much better than anything else.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is OneNote Mobile on Windows 10 using a medium width pen:

upload_2016-3-27_20-28-16.png

This is OneNote 2016 Insider Build with Medium Width Pen:

upload_2016-3-27_20-31-0.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nice but you can read what you write.....I can't....windows can which is why I use Word and have it translate from pen to type. My last tablet had it's own pen keyboard which I liked better than Windows but I am slowly getting better with it.
To me using the TIP is an unnecessary extra step - if the TIP can read your script then so can OneNote. But I also leave all of my notes as ink which is fully searchable without needing to convert them to text.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no issue whatsoever with writing in OneNote (either version). Everything is perfectly legible and no lag etc.

Unless, as stated, it is with the finest pen setting, then it looks like pigeon scratch.

dcoplien

To me using the TIP is an unnecessary extra step - if the TIP can read your script then so can OneNote. But I also leave all of my notes as ink which is fully searchable without needing to convert them to text.
You have never seen my handwriting. An hour or so later if I look at my notes, I have no idea what I wrote. I prefer Word as later on I can edit or share. To each their own. I was only stating what I do.

Plantje

It's a little bit a matter of "getting used to", but I think I will be happy using it.
Especially during meetings people appreciate it more if you are creating handwritten notes opposed to typing.

JordanAT

I've found that, for inking input, you MUST write slower than you are used to if you are a fast writer. You also need to increase your writing by a factor of 2 or so. My tests showed that it had a combined reduction in writing speed of about 30%, and that my effective page width was about 4" wide, when using the screen and comparing similarly sized letters (on a printout) to my normal handwriting with my preferred 0.9mm pencil. (yes, I use very fat lead - it allows more control for drafting and I never break the lead).

As a result, I've yet to transition to digital inking. It's mostly due to a lack of useful applications. OneNote is not very useful for technical calculations and scaled drawings which need to be printed, and programs which are good at that, like Krita or Manga Studio, are single page oriented (again, hard to make a 20 page calc or sketch set which flows). Drawboard is nice, but the file sizes balloon with handwritten notes to the point of unusability after just a few pages.