What's new

hands-on, let down

OP
M

mtalinm

However, I actually did notice it wobble more than other laptops. It's not an issue when rested on a hard surface like a desk but it is noticeable on uneven or partial surfaces like on a lap. When typing hard on my lap I noticed it wobbling. Not a deal breaker, but it is somewhat annoying.

exactly what I observed. ironically, the Surface Pro might be more stable in this way (assuming you have legs long enough to stretch out the kickstand)

Kif

exactly what I observed. ironically, the Surface Pro might be more stable in this way (assuming you have legs long enough to stretch out the kickstand)

Screen wobble is a deal killer for me. I'm super sensitive to screen wobble on high DPI screens. It's hard enough for me to read small text when it's completely stationary.

the yoga is an excellent laptop, and I personally like it equally to the surface pro. With all the different modes you can place it in (stand mode being my favorite while in bed) the screen does have some wobble to it but I grew accustomed to it and was not a deal breaker for me.

CrippsCorner

Was playing with the Surface Book in the Las Vegas store (across the road from my hotel) for 10 minutes.

Must admit, I personally loved it. Couldn't see any major wobble and I was deliberately trying to make it wobble, by picking it up and shaking it round. Of course, it wobbles a bit more than normal notebook with a thin screen, but it wasn't bad. The shop assistant said it was a preprod model.

I kept removing the 'clipboard' section. Around 4-5 times. Caused the computer to crash. Hopefully it is only associated with preproduction. The clipboard section is insanely light. Keyboard was pretty good too. Tried to look at the systems specs, but the computer had an admin password. Also you can connect the power cable to the clipboard section via the connector that connects it to the keyboard section. Oh and removing the clipboard, there's a nice click and you can see the clipboard section 'shudder' as it's released.

Also liked the SP4 - it's significantly lighter and the new keyboard is much nicer than the SP3. I own the SP3. The magnets seem to be much sturdier.

Pretty sure I'll get the Surface Book i7/256GB, either when I'm back in the US or if it gets released in Hong Kong. Also played with the 950XL. They didn't have the 950. Will get that as well only because my 930 screen is now discolouring and dying.

Some pictures:

Looks really gorgeous in those pictures! Thanks for sharing... man I want one of these, I just don't need one lol.

genenz

I was thinking overnight that the gap in the laptop might come in handy. The laptop seals shut quite tightly via magnets and it seals flush. Basically I needed to use my finger nails to pries it open. The gap will be useful to open it up. But then again I maybe enamoured by it and making up reasons why its good.

I was thinking overnight that the gap in the laptop might come in handy. The laptop seals shut quite tightly via magnets and it seals flush. Basically I needed to use my finger nails to pries it open. The gap will be useful to open it up. But then again I maybe enamoured by it and making up reasons why its good.

Someone (don't remember who or where) made a comment about built in pen storage in the gap. I think that is a cool idea. Too bad it doesn't have it though. The magnet was pretty strong on the SP4 when I tried it at the MS Store. Unfortunately, I didn't get much time with the SB to try it out.

netuser

I got a whole 30 seconds with it before they took it in back for some "corporate event," but I could see a little wobbling while typing on the table, but if you're someone who uses the touchscreen when in laptop mode, use it in cars (passenger of course), or on planes, you're definitely going to notice it.

It might not be noticeable for some, but coming from a Thinkpad Yoga, that hinge is rock solid. I've never noticed any jittering or wobbling when in use.

Towards the end of this video, around 2:25, you can see what I'm talking about. Others have mentioned it too.

Some people in the comments said that it won't wobble like that if you press the lock button after reattaching the tablet to the keyboard.
They said you have to press the button to release the tablet and press it again to properly lock it in.
Someone needs to retest it after confirming the lock button was activated.

Migi

I'm not a person who ever used a laptop on my lap so "lapability" is not important. However just an experiment I tried my 13" Macbook Air and it does have a slight wobble/shake as I type. I can imagine the Surface Book has more because of the physics issue of the larger top piece. I imagine the challenge of Surface Book 2 will be to lighten the top piece and strengthen the hinge to solve that. I don't think it will be a deal-breaker for most people.

bluegrass

Come on guys. You want some desert on top of your desert. As technology advances devices are getting much thinner & lighter , which is really great. Now you want a very thin & light computer not to move when you type on it in your lap. I don't think that's going to happen with SB2, SB3, and down the line. Wobble will become more and more prevalent as new technology allows our equipment to become thinner and lighter. As for touching the screen on the SB when it's in your lap; try holding the screen with your left hand or right depending on whether your right or left handed while you touch with your other hand.

daniielrp

You want some dessert on top of your dessert. Two S's. O_O

image.jpeg