What's new

Graphics Control Panel

DLCPhoto

I have a 4gb Surface 3, happily running on Windows 8.1.

I have no complaints or problems, except for one issue: the screen varies in brightness according to what is being displayed. I do have the adaptive brightness turned off in Power settings, so this is not responsible. In researching this, it appears that the Intel HD Graphics driver also has a power saving option that is in play here. The solution would be to disable this option, but unfortunately, there is no Graphics Control Panel accessible either by right-click on the Desktop, or anywhere in Control Panel, System Settings, Configuration, etc., etc.

I have read of installing a different driver to gain a Control Panel, but I want this to be as 'genuine' and specific to the Surface 3 as possible. In other words, I would hate to install a new driver, have it fix this problem, but then create numerous other problems or instability.

When I check through Updates, or look for a new driver through Device Manager, it tells me I have the most recent one, so that's a dead-end.

Does anybody here know of a way to add a Graphics Control Panel to the existing driver, or which is the correct driver with the GCP for this device?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only way to get the Intel Control Panel is to go to their site and download the zipped version of the Reference Driver and manually install it via Device Manager.

The issue you'll run into is that it isn't optimized for the Surface 3 and will greatly impact your battery life.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

The only way to get the Intel Control Panel is to go to their site and download the zipped version of the Reference Driver and manually install it via Device Manager.

The issue you'll run into is that it isn't optimized for the Surface 3 and will greatly impact your battery life.

Thanks for the reply and info. Doesn't sound like an acceptable trade-off, unfortunately. It seems silly to have to choose between battery life and basic functionality.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply and info. Doesn't sound like an acceptable trade-off, unfortunately. It seems silly to have to choose between battery life and basic functionality.
The lack of the Control Panel is specifically due to the optimization of the driver for the S3 (All Surface Devices actually). The driver is tuned for maximum battery savings and thermal protection.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

The lack of the Control Panel is specifically due to the optimization of the driver for the S3 (All Surface Devices actually). The driver is tuned for maximum battery savings and thermal protection.

I guess that makes sense. I would still somehow prefer an option to tweak this particular setting, but I guess it's not in the cards. I just love this thing anyway.