What's new

Going from the SP3 to the ipad pro

kiwigirl

Played with an ipad today at best buy (first time in almost 2 years that Ive used one, when I sold my air).

Felt like such a compromise!

I kept reaching for my pen (which I have on the side of my SP3 with the pen loop). Nope, nothing there on the ipad.

Kept reaching for my type cover to magnetically attach on. Nope nothing there.

Kept flipping the ipad trying to pull out a kickstand. Nope nothing there.

Kept reaching for the USB port in wanting to plug in stuff. Nope nothing there.

Kept trying to access OneNote. Nope nothing there.

Kept trying to look for a hard drive to access my personal files. Nope nothing there.

Wow did it feel awkward using an ipad for the first time since I sold mine in 2013. Felt like a huge step back. I would never use an ipad again aside from ios only apps and games. Otherwise they are just a fabricated toy.

Jay Marino

SP3 > iPad Pro for sure. Think about it. The SP3 is the first "copycat" product that Apple has come out with in a long time. It's flattering to see them come out with the pen and type cover like the SP products. Apple does a lot of things well, but for sure SP3 > iPad Pro

Afy

Being honest, I have never understood the appeal of an iPad, min, normal or pro. It's like an oversized iPhone that you can actually use to make calls. Or a toy to keep kids busy playing whatever they play these days.

jrioux

Being honest, I have never understood the appeal of an iPad, min, normal or pro. It's like an oversized iPhone that you can actually use to make calls. Or a toy to keep kids busy playing whatever they play these days.
I got an iPad 2 soon after it came out to read/write emails, take notes at meetings, read PDFs/DOCs and do a little work on DOC and XLS files. I got a keyboard and QuickOffice. My iPad setup worked fairly well, until I needed to reply to emails with attachments. The iPad was a total failure at this and I understand that it isn't much better today.

I then upgraded to a Nook HD+, then an RT and finally an SP3. All three were, and are, far better than the iPad for my uses.

Last edited:

Afy

What people forget is that the iPad was not the first tablet. MS demoed one years before crApple.
heck way back in 94 Compaq had a 'convertible' 386 laptop that you could use for taking notes etc, based on a 386 or 486 processor I forget which. That was quite limited due to the lack of power and Windows 3.1. But was cool for its time. Even that was more productive than the current generation of iPad's.
Personally I tried a Xoom initially.. but it did not meet my needs at all. Until the Surface Pro came out, I was not a tablet user per se. For me unless someone comes out with a Surface competitior that is more powerful in a similar form factor, I won't even consider it.

If someone wants to use an Android or crApple machine, it's their choice. I for will not.