What's new

Solved Glass Screen Protector Question

MickeyLittle

I purchased the glass screen protector in the link below a month ago for around 1/4 the price of the Zagg version. But I have noticed 2 issues that I wonder if the Zagg and more expensive glass protectors have as well.

1) The keyboard doesn't stick nearly as secure in the ramped angle
2) The stylus doesn't seem to be as consistent in writing in that ever now and then it misses a stroke or two

If the more expensive models don't have then I will need to get an upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5WU2R6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the Zagg for five months. Not experiencing either of these issues.
I forget I even have it, until posts like yours ask me about it.

GoodBytes

I highly recommend Phantom Glass. It is from a Canadian company.
Phantom Glass is Gorilla glass. The same glass surface as your Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3. I have it on my Surface Pro 2.

So what does that mean?
-> Your fingers glides exactly like it does on your Surface Pro display
-> It doesn't interfere or change the feel of the pen (as the surface is identical to the original device)
-> Truly clear. So clear that there isn't a camera whole needed.
-> Easy to install
-> Uses a special product to hold which doesn't leave any residue in the short term and long term run, and fill micro scratches, and reduces the chances of bubbles. Basically, as long as your work environment is clean, and your Surface pro 3 is clean, you should have no dust and no bubbles. If anything you'll have a large one, which will be easy to push out, and you are good. You are not going to spend more than a min installing it with you talking your time.
-> Will not chip on the corners

The glass thickness is 0.2mm compared to 0.3mm the one you are looking at. While I can't say how it will work for your keyboard trouble, as I have the Pro 2 and not Pro 3, thinner should be better. Zagg glass is 0.4mm. So Phantom glass is the thinnest you can find.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Phantom Glass still boxed as a backup in case I ever need to replace the Zagg.

ChiGGz

I was thinking of getting the Phantom, but might opt for a screen protector that will give some tactile feedback when using the pen. I'm finding the plastic tip on glass to be too slippery.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking of getting the Phantom, but might opt for a screen protector that will give some tactile feedback when using the pen. I'm finding the plastic tip on glass to be too slippery.

How long have you had your surface?

I initially had the same opinion, it was just too slick to mimic paper, but once i got used to it, i wont turn back. I've found that the lack of friction has actually improved the clarity of my writing (although i have found that to ink coherently regardless of friction, i have to zoom in and write about twice normal size. Pixels being pixels, i just find that writing in "normal" size just creates too much of an issue with regard to notes looking like pigeon scratch.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

The phantom glass does sound interesting and it sounds like I can't go wrong with either it or the Zagg so since I can get the Zagg here locally at Best Buy I will probably go that route.

B

BChat

Thanks for the info, just ordered the Phantom Glass based on GoodBytes post.

Phantom Glass - 1 - me
ZAGG - 1 - MickeyLittle

:)

ChiGGz

How long have you had your surface?

I've had it since Dec. Been two weeks since onenote has replaced my primary notebook. Though, its tough being on a webex and taking notes on the SP3 at the same time. And my already messy writing seems worse on the Surface likely due to being frictionless.