What's new

Getting ready to put my surface to the test

Ruffles

This afternoon, I'm doing a charity photoshoot for my local library. I'm excited to use my SP for this for the first time. I'll be using a USB 3 hub to connect my Nikon D800 and two printers to my tablet. I'm shooting a green screen and dropping pics of the kids into a jungle and printing them on the spot. In the past, I've used my old Dell laptop for these kinds of events but today will be the SP. The only problem I had setting up was with the printer drivers. They are supposed to work without a driver in Win 8 but I had problems so I had to hack the .inf file of the Win 7 driver to get them to install and create the printer pool. I'll let you know how it goes :).

Omni

Sounds good hopefully you will get lots of questions asked about the Surface!

Russ

photoshoot

Ruffles --

Good luck; sounds like you are well prepared. Are you shooting hand-held, then transferring pix to your Pro?

I, too, have a real "test" coming up next week. I will be doing a small catalog photoshoot for a business friend on Thursday and Friday. It will be a showroom setup, so I will be using Canon Remote Capture through my Pro, as I have done before with my laptop. I like that, because we can preview the setups before taking pictures. I have already tested the Remote Capture on the Pro here at home, and it works fine. The big challenge for me is not the computer side: I will be shooting jewelry, and I have a hard time with jewelry -- too many reflective surfaces to pick up every color and image in the galaxy. I told my friend I'm not good at jewelry, but she insisted and the money is good, so time will tell, I guess.

Take care,
Russ

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Well, things worked out pretty well. I shoot tethered via Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 and then use Photo Key for the green screen. No one really noticed the Surface. The only problem I had was with one printer. I had moved the hub while it was printing and I think I jiggled the wire too much and messed up the connection. After that, only one printer in the pool would print until I rebooted. This is how they turned out...

Attachments

• lib1.jpg
    lib1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 729
  • lib2.jpg
    lib2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:
OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Thanks everyone. Russ - good luck with your jewelry shoot. Controlling reflections is a real pain. Just take lots of black flags that you can use to block out what you don't want.