What's new

Getting hot

OP
S

Screenmad

Yes all updates are done.

I get this error when I try to use this forum with Edge.

d142cb03251df5a75378b907febd09c8.jpg

kundas1

I also use edge all the time as I have to because IE works so bad ATM for me... and edge works perfectly fine on here using my SP3

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here - NO issues with MS Edge and the MS Surface (this) Forum. Loads right up. As a fail safe you can always do a reset of your IE / Edge from the IE settings in the Control Panel. Another thing you might try is using a program like CCleaner to clean out your cookies, typed pages, etc. I have found that this will clear up various issues as well. Let us know if this or anything else fixes the issue when / if you get a moment.

OP
S

Screenmad

This forum still won't load on the MSP4. Sigh. I'm beginning to fall out of love with this device. It's so buggy. :-(

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Norton and other antivirus programs are but as this is Windows you can't be without. And as I've paid for it, it will stay.

I'll try to use Edge instead but I've always found IE to be shit compared to Chrome in the past. Perhaps Edge has improved.

I'd hoped Windows would've improved in the 5 years since I had one at home but it doesn't appear to have. Everything is much harder work than on a Mac.

You can keep Norton - and welcome yourself to the Rhelm of Slow running PC's - I won't drag out my resume, but I have been repairing, working on PC's both for the government and the private sector for 25+ years. Norton kills computers, end of discussion. Don't believe me. just do a search for something along the lines of "Does Norton Slow down PCs" and there are endless pages and stories. I understand you paid for it, by all means keep it. But you will be getting about 60% (or less) of your PC's true capabilities. In an attempt to keep your PC safe, what Norton does, is watch / control a large amount of your PC's services - additionally it eats up a good amount of RAM (256+) - and the worst part of it is - Norton doesn't really protect you. If you want decent protection, without slowing down your PC - Grab a licensed version on ZoneAlarm. - Wish you the best of luck.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow it gets so hot when I charge it. I can hear the fan working hard too.

If it is getting hot because of charging(and it is timely coincidence, e.g windows update installing so!Etching in the background when plugged in) then i suggest contacting Microsoft. Mine is almost always plugged in and it never gets hot as a result. Fan rarely comes on.

radji

Wow it gets so hot when I charge it. I can hear the fan working hard too.
That means there's some process or application that is sucking up CPU power. If I make Adobe or Office work too hard, then it will cause my tablet to heat up. Usually it is caused by a background process.
I've been trying to use Edge and it has made no difference and it's noticeable slower than Chrome.
I've found Edge to be just as unusable as IE. Firefox is marginally better, specifically cause I can disable tabs and sync everything across my devices. Chrome is definitely the fastest.