What's new

General usage of the surface 4 pen compared to other laptops

mystvearn

Hi,

I was wondering since Surface 4 and 3 does not come with a storage for the pen, do you find it annoying dangling like that? The Lenovo Yoga 260 has a slot, the Hp spectre elite has a slot. As a heavy pen user, do you think other laptops like some sort of convertible where the pen is hidden in the case would be better or is the surface 4 still better?

Also, is it wise to get a surface now, or will microsoft release something new in future?

Votality

Hi,

I was wondering since Surface 4 and 3 does not come with a storage for the pen, do you find it annoying dangling like that? The Lenovo Yoga 260 has a slot, the Hp spectre elite has a slot. As a heavy pen user, do you think other laptops like some sort of convertible where the pen is hidden in the case would be better or is the surface 4 still better?

Also, is it wise to get a surface now, or will microsoft release something new in future?

There is always something new to buy and I'm sure there will be a surface 5 and i find the magnetic attachment fantastic, but i do have a case on mine that i can hold the pen in the back. The magnetic holder great when using the device, you put it back there. No good to travel with. You need a bag or something to hold it in so its not lost.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My device is always in a messenger bag with pen loops inside. It is never something that has bothered me, and I'd hate for the pen to be slimmed down so that it could fit in a solo. Sometimes. If is better.

Votality

My device is always in a messenger bag with pen loops inside. It is never something that has bothered me, and I'd hate for the pen to be slimmed down so that it could fit in a solo. Sometimes. If is better.

Agreed the pen is the perfect size, weight and balance (same as a normal pen,pencil)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed the pen is the perfect size, weight and balance (same as a normal pen,pencil)

Yeah, if they decided to go down the slim s-pen route I would probably look at a different product. I'll take functionality over convenience any day.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who has used Windows Pen based Tablets since 2003, the dark side of the Silo/Pen Barn is that they have typically used mechanical releases that fail or the pen clip breaks or they use a "stick" stylus that suck to write with for any length of time.

leeshor

The alternative would be something like the "stylus" that comes with the Note Phablet. OK for jotting down notes but you wouldn't want to spend much time doing much more.

Last edited:

bluegrass

Pen storage doesn't bother me. I just keep mine in my Surface bag and when I need it and will be using it, I stick it in my shirt pocket.

OP
M

mystvearn

Thanks for the replies.

I have not used a full size pen and use the stylus on my Note 3 with Onenote a lot-especially for meetings I only bring a conventional pen to sign the attendance sheet for meetings. Everything else is done on the Note. Acceptable. Bigger would be better, though I doubt that I would bring the pen if it was not stored in the phone all the time. I would like a 10" tablet with pen support, though not sure which one. I was thinking of SP4, but it is 12". My wife uses the Note 10.1, and I think that size is more than enough. If something is too big, I am afraid I will not bring it everywhere. Unfortunately, I am not sure if there are good 10" touchscreen 2 in 1 either convertible or detachable keyboard. Surface 3 is kind of old now.

Lenovo 900s? Asus Transformer mini? Samsung TabPro S?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
surface 3 is indeed old, but it still performs just great for office use. Im typing this on a surface 3. just because something is old doesnt make it obsolete.

OP
M

mystvearn

surface 3 is indeed old, but it still performs just great for office use. Im typing this on a surface 3. just because something is old doesnt make it obsolete.

True. I believe fanless is the future for all portable devices. I'm typing this on my Asus U46SV laptop. SSD makes everything fast. Lightest with a built in DVD writer. Not so light when compared to newer devices.