What's new

Future of non-Pro Surfaces?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel said no more Z8700/Z8500/Z8300's by September they will only make the newer Z8750/Z8550/Z8350's so I wonder if MS is stockpiling the older chips or are they slipstreaming the newer model. There isn't much difference between them, hardly anything worth mentioning.

I hope they release a core-m Surface 4 this year.

Next year I hope they release an ARM revival model similar sized as S3/4 (perhaps different branding: Surface Tab A ??? Surface Yoda :) ) based on improved Windows on ARM with Full Desktop unlocked and available to devs to recompile x86 to ARM programs. Additionally we should have enough horsepower in ARM SoCs to make x86 emulation feasible with better than Atom X7 performance as a method of last resort for running x86 native programs. IDK maybe someday the Universal Windows Platform will take off and all the desktop programs will be available as UWP programs. We certainly aren't there yet, but that would make some things a lot easier.

nnthemperor

Still holding out for an 8" Surface device with core M, active pen and a non type cover. The HP8EN had convinced me the necessity for such a device. Can still dream, can't I?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Plantje

Still very happy with my Surface 3. Although I did get a small crush for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S Pro when I played with it in a local store. Oh my.... it runs smooth, fast, is thin and light!

Yes, definitely Core M is the way forward for non pro Surface devices! Only thing I would really change in the Samsung is: add LTE modem, smaller screen size (the 12" is too large...), add one USB port (only one is not enough) and add a micro SD card slot (Why, Samsung? Why...?)