What's new

FRUSTRATED - A DEVICE TO LOVE AND HATE!

Mikewired

I started with a sp3 i5 128 and then upgraded to an i5 256 because I liked it so much. I don't know if I am just used to Apple quality and expecting the sp3 to be up to a comparable level. First the cameras are terrible, but I can live with that because most laptops don't have a rear camera anyway. Then I discover the back camera quit all together. Next I love the pen but sometimes it writes before touching the screen or doesn't write at all. Last week I discover wear marks under the hinge on a one week old unit, ok I can live with that too. Today I happen to notice the top of the unit is curved and with the slightest pressure it will straighten out, now I am worried about the sp3's durability. I take this unit with me everyday. I looked at a could of demo units at Best Buy and they are also curved at the top.
Things I do like about the sp3.
1 Win 8.1 is great - I can still say this after being on a Mac for the last 6 years
2 touchscreen - Apple kinda lost me here
3 great high resolution screen
4 Handwriting !!!!!
5 Onenote
6 Backlit touch cover and highly improved touchpad
7 Great portable size and weight
8 Battery seems to be fine - not as long lasting as an MB Air but enough
9 Makes me forget my iPad - except when I am away from wifi - I have the original ATT unlimited plan
10 Speakers are great

Well you guys understand. Its a device to love and hate!
Maybe i'll just get a i3 64 for $650 (oh yeah add $130 for the type cover) and wait out the sp4 or ? Right now a i5 256 at $1150 + $130 just seems to too high priced for these issues.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All units have the bulge, but if you have hardware issues exchange it. If you lost faith in a device it will never recover as even with a replacement you will look at every detail and you will find things that will nag at you and like most who have come over from Apple you will compare it to their Laptop that doesn't need the same level of engineering or to the tablet which uses low powered ARM Architecture and again doesn't need the same level of engineering.

Most Surface Devices are rock solid, I've used mine since launch day for 14-18 hours a day, inking, typing, reading, creating IP, it is my Office Phone, etc.. It is the highest quality device I've ever used.

ctitanic

Next I love the pen but sometimes it writes before touching the screen or doesn't write at all.

Remove the battery from the pen and put it back.

Last edited:

ctitanic

All units have the bulge, but if you have hardware issues exchange it. If you lost faith in a device it will never recover as even with a replacement you will look at every detail and you will find things that will nag at you and like most who have come over from Apple you will compare it to their Laptop that doesn't need the same level of engineering or to the tablet which uses low powered ARM Architecture and again doesn't need the same level of engineering.

Most Surface Devices are rock solid, I've used mine since launch day for 14-18 hours a day, inking, typing, reading, creating IP, it is my Office Phone, etc.. It is the highest quality device I've ever used.
Exactly, the iPad is an iPhone on steroids. Just one port and a very simple hardware compared to the SP 3.

wynand32

The "top of the unit" is curved because it's designed that way--there's a piece of plastic on the top edge to allow for wireless signals, and that's what's curved. I doubt that there's any actual "straightening out" going on when pressure is applied. Note that the screen itself is straight.

Just had to chime in because the "top is curved" thing has been asked and answered a number of times already. It's not a defect, and so not a reason to question the SP3's build quality.

Oh, and not to be argumentative, but Apple products are notorious for having initial (and long-term) build issues. The SP3 is at least as well-built as the best Apple products, albeit not as "elegantly" because it's mostly form follows function rather than the opposite as with Apple products.