What's new

Frequent Random Pauses/Freezes

null4end

Is anyone else having a lot of pauses where your SP3 seems to freeze only to recover a 15 sec later? It isn't totally frozen as I can move the mouse and some activities (Lync Call/Presentation) continue? I've tried watching the performance monitor to see if it is a spike in CPU, but the performance monitor is one of the things that freezes so I never see anything interesting.

leeshor

+1 for AdwCleaner and you also may want to consider Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes will run in safe mode.

OP
null4end

null4end

Thanks for the recommendations, I hadn't thought of malware since I primarily use this machine for work. I ran a full scan with MalwareBytes since I use that on friends and family computers all the time and it didn't find anything. I think this is the first time I've seen it report nothing :).

Any other ideas?

OP
null4end

null4end

I just tried disabling Hardware Video Acceleration in Office 2013 to see if that helps. I am always running Outlook and Lync as well as the rest of the suite and I've heard there are some issues with this in the past.

I'll report back later today to see if it helps at all.

leeshor

If you have a corruption somewhere on the internal storage that could cause your problem and a file integrity check. (tools - fix under drive properties), may help.

Also if you are using a microSD card that is having problems it's difficult for that to sow anywhere but would be a problem. Same solution.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
More detail about what you doing would help... perhaps theres a WiFi connectivity issue as WiFi is wont to do at times. reboot the router, check signal strength...

daonei

My SP3 will just freeze on me while I'm working. It has happened about five or six times now and it has been frustrating. I have to reboot the computer by holding the power button for a few seconds, but will lose my work in the process...

leeshor

It's a good idea any time you need to force a restart to check the disk integrity. It's possible to have all types of stuff happen you aren't aware of.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My SP3 will just freeze on me while I'm working. It has happened about five or six times now and it has been frustrating. I have to reboot the computer by holding the power button for a few seconds, but will lose my work in the process...
Ok I didn't get that from the first post... sounds like you might need a replacement or maybe a restore but Id either contact support or take it to the store.

I'm out.

leeshor

The list of reasons I have had customers with frozen desktops is at least as ling as my arm and I can't think of the last time it was the system hardware other than 2 examples. Bunged up USB port or a device connected to a port. Recently had a bad monitor power supply cause hangs and a bad USB optical mouse cause freezing. Mostly it is software related. Just last week found a problem with color correction software installed on a system that caused hard lockups.

Here is the problem. Uninstalling that software did fix it, but that same software is installed on 3 other systems in the same office without a problem. That makes finding the conflict difficult to impossible especially since there were no log entries anywhere indicating any problems.

In this case we just changed to different color correcting software. Not always that easy.

OP
null4end

null4end

Mine doesn't require action to unfreeze, it just comes out of it by itself after 15-20sec. It also seems to queue up and execute all of my clicks/keystrokes while it is frozen.

It almost seems like a process is starving the CPU and when it completes it clears the input buffer. I wish task manager wouldn't stop updating or I might be able to see if there is an offending process.

So far today it is only happening when I am on a Lync 2013 call. My next step is to uninstall and reinstall Office. It is a pretty easy yet time consuming process since I have to pull it down from Software Center again.