What's new

Forgot Surface Pro Password

Kayne

My child changed my admin password and now can't remember it. I used Rufus to create a usb bootable stick from PCUnlocker Enterprise iso image and it booted successfully on my Surface Pro tablet. But the program couldn't locate the sam file and reset the password. Afterwards I booted with Ubuntu Live CD, and all my files are still inaccessible. Suddenly I realized my hard drive was encrypted with BitLocker.

So the problem is how can I decrypt the hard drive? I have the BitLocker recovery key but don't know what to do next because I couldn't sign into Windows any longer. Please help!

Orlbuckeye

Is that admin account your MS account? If it is you can login to MS and go to your account and say change password and they will text or email a code to verify its you and you can then change the PW.

aikenwaisu

Which kind of account are you using?
There are three types of accounts you can use to sign in on your Surface:

• A Microsoft account: You sign in with an email address and password.
  • A local account: You sign in with a user name and password.
  • A domain account: You sign in with a domain user name and password. The domain is the network for your work or school, and the user name is assigned to you.

Cloudmine

Yo Orlbuckeye..

I don't have the password, nor anything for this Surface. It was given to me as is. No one in the family knows the password. They believe the OS got hit by a bug. They've all switched to iPhones and iPads. I'd like to erase the hard drive, and experiment with it.
It has only one USB socket. I attached an Asus external DVD through a hub , but the notebook doesn't register it.
How do I erase its hard drive without knowing the password?
This device doesn't have any script, nor numbers on it. I don't even know the model. All I know of it is it's all black, and the battery is good.

Florida eah.. I Am So Jealous. lucky bugger! 24/7/365 summer.
We've got Eskimo weather here. You definitely would not like the two-feet of snow we've already got everywhere, and the horrid -30 daily temps.

OP
K

Kayne

Update: later I downloaded the Surface Pro recovery image and create a boot USB, performed a factory reset. So I lost all files on the hard drive.
Problem solved!

OP
K

Kayne

Yo Orlbuckeye..

I don't have the password, nor anything for this Surface. It was given to me as is. No one in the family knows the password. They believe the OS got hit by a bug. They've all switched to iPhones and iPads. I'd like to erase the hard drive, and experiment with it.
It has only one USB socket. I attached an Asus external DVD through a hub , but the notebook doesn't register it.
How do I erase its hard drive without knowing the password?
This device doesn't have any script, nor numbers on it. I don't even know the model. All I know of it is it's all black, and the battery is good.

Florida eah.. I Am So Jealous. lucky bugger! 24/7/365 summer.
We've got Eskimo weather here. You definitely would not like the two-feet of snow we've already got everywhere, and the horrid -30 daily temps.

When your surface is powered off, hold down the volume+ button and press the Power button. Release the volume+ button until you see the Surface logo on the screen. In the UEFI firmware, you can see the serial number. Just note it down.

Next follow this tutorial to download Surface recovery image from Microsoft (require Surface's serial number that you found above), and you can boot off it to perform a factory reset. That's it!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This device doesn't have any script, nor numbers on it. I don't even know the model. All I know of it is it's all black,
The only all black models were the original Surface RT, Surface Pro, and Surface Pro 2.
The original Surface RT and Pro had a single position kickstands and the Pro 2 had a two position kickstand. Both of the Pro models are .5 inch thick while the RT is .37 inch thick.
From this: The RT is .37 in thick with single position kickstand,
Pro 1 is .5 in thick with single position kickstand,
Pro 2 is .5 in thick with two position kickstand.
All subsequent models are Silver in color.
Look under the Kickstand to find the serial number and model info.

Make a bootable USB mentioned above...