What's new

Folio cases that do not hinder the SP3 stand?

sissiromy

I found some older threads from last Oct -Dec on folio cases for the SP3 and was just wondering if anyone could update on their experience with folio cases for the SP Pro 3, after using theirs for a while. I am looking for a folio case that is light (don't want to add much more weight since I bought the SP3 for its 1.7lbs lightweight), allows attachment of the type cover, and allows me to use the SP3 stand at its different position; and will also fold back if I am using the SP3 in tablet mode (with type cover keyboard detached). Thank you for any feedback you provide. From older threads, this was one that was a favorite and is still sold on amazon, but it appears that it does not hold up to wear that well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGOAZT6/

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried many but keep returning to using it without a case.... In the end I find them to bulky and take away from the experience of using the device.

OP
S

sissiromy

I've tried many but keep returning to using it without a case.... In the end I find them to bulky and take away from the experience of using the device.
so does your SP3 get scratched? what protection do you give it? (bag, etc.) Thanks for sharing!

malberttoo

Same here. And I did the same thing with my iPhone 6.

The SP3 is just different in my hands and bulkier when in a case and I don't like it. I love how light and sleek it is, and my personal usage habits are not hard on a device. I am simply resigned to the fact that the chassis will obviously succumb to some scuffing or scratching.

However I wouldn't even dare without Microsoft Complete of course.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This case keeps my Surface and my arms in great shape.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have the Moko case and just picked up the UAG case this weekend http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/products/microsoft-surface-pro-3-case-scout
I prefer the UAG case for two reasons, 1) when it tablet mode with the Moko you have to fold the cover back behind the SP3 and if you are holding/carrying it the width is thicker and a little awkward, with the UAG you just remove the type cover. 2) When the keyboard is attached the magnet on the Moko will not close as it's just a bit too much distance due to the keyboard being attached, with the UAG there is an elastic cord that goes over the corner and keeps the keyboard closed when carrying. I wish the UAG case had a slot for the clip on the stylus like the Moko but that's the only con I found to the UAG. Also, if you have any skins on your SP3 (especially on the sides), the Moko can easily get caught on them and cut into them. I was curious if the stand settings on the UAG would seem limited but they do not and will adjust almost as far back as the SP3 stand itself and there are several positions to choose from.

WoodSurface

I use the Moko UltraSlim Shell ( http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Case/dp/B00KGOBFBS/ref=cm_cr-mr-title ) currently at $12.99 + the AmazonBasics 11.6-inch sleeve $7.99 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD8ADKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) . I agree that the Moko cover is awkward and adds weight, and as many have done, cut the keyboard cover section off to mitigate this as much as possible, which means the Moko shell only covers the top half of the tablet (top side in portrait orientation), all of the backside, and the kickstand. I rest the tablet and kickstand on the AmazonBasics sleeve, so only the bottom edge of the keyboard is touching a table surface, and then use the sleeve as I move about (the 11.6-inch sleeve is a tight fit with the SP3+Moko case, but I like it). I'm pretty happy with this setup, as the actual contact area of my tablet to other surfaces is very limited, hopefully keeping it clean and scratch-free. I don't think you can beat the UAG in overall drop protection if you like to spend more.

WW