What's new

Flickering issue

trident777

Bought my SP4 about 3 months ago and absolutely love it. No issues apart from a flickering issue in low light. If I am in a dim room the backlight flickers sometimes for about a minute or so and then stabilizes. Then in about 15-20 minutes the process repeats.

So, when I turn off automatic brightness the above DOES NOT happen, no issues so i'm thinking it's a software issue. However, I would like to use automatic brightness.

I see there are various other threads about flickering but the official patch from MS seems to indicate this is a "resolved" issue, however it seems that it has not been resolved for some?

Philtastic

From what I've seen, it's probably a hardware issue with some but not all SP4 displays. In your case, you're only seeing it with auto brightness because, when you're in a dark room, it's attempting to use the lowest brightness setting which is where the flickering tends to occur. My brother has this issue when he sets the screen brightness to lowest where it flickers pretty often whereas mine does not flicker at all. See if it happens with auto brightness off but set to the lowest brightness setting.

If it really bothers you, you should try to get a warranty replacement, although, in your case, that might be difficult if it only flickers every 15-20 minutes.

OP
T

trident777

thanks, actually I mistyped, it happens every 3-5 minutes. I will try at the lowest brightness. It is an annoyance more than a showstopper. It would be a PITA to get a warranty replacement as I have already setup the machine to my liking :(

robertnd2

I had this problem on a previous device. It started as an annoyance and got worse over time started happening at all brightness levels). Suggest you replace it while you can.

OP
T

trident777

Thanks guys.. it's going to be a real PITA to replace it as I have it all setup :( I confirmed that right now it happens only at the lowest brightness level. Also I bought this from someone and do not have the receipt although I did register it a few months ago when I got it... is the receipt required for warranty?

I can live with the current problem but my concern is that it will start getting worse...