What's new

fixed static sound, now no KB or mousepad??

berbes

hello all. thought this was going to be a simple corrupt audio driver issue for a surface 3, but after updating the sound driver, NOW the mousepad or keyboard will not work.

i updated from build 1903 to 1909 but it did not fix this issue. i looked and found the "hold the volume up + power for 10 sec fix. this brought up a menu where i could move things around WITH the keyboard, but still no KB upon booting up into W10. i went into device manager and tried uninstalling mouse and KB, but still nothing after rebooting.

what am i missing?
thanks!!!!!

Turbo4AWD

hello all. thought this was going to be a simple corrupt audio driver issue for a surface 3, but after updating the sound driver, NOW the mousepad or keyboard will not work.

i updated from build 1903 to 1909 but it did not fix this issue. i looked and found the "hold the volume up + power for 10 sec fix. this brought up a menu where i could move things around WITH the keyboard, but still no KB upon booting up into W10. i went into device manager and tried uninstalling mouse and KB, but still nothing after rebooting.

what am i missing?
thanks!!!!!

On My Surface 3, this was fixed after a firmware update, but going into BIOS and booting to windows fixed the issue for me whenever it occurred. Not sure what the name of the firmware was, but it was included in a Windows Update I did years ago. See if there are any firmware updates available for your Surface 3. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else you can try other than BIOS.

OP
B

berbes

thanks for your response. it is so puzzling. the drivers look fine. i still tried removing them and rebooting, i then downloaded the official surface diagnosis tool and it updated some firmware. i even reset the pc, but still no KB. more accurately, the screen brightness keys work and the FN key light works on & off, otherwise nothing. i even swapped KBs and the SAME keys worked. i then got paranoid and used an eraser and alcohol to clean the connector points on the unit. it MUST be the bios? i mean, it's the only thing left, right?

Last edited: