What's new

HowTo Fix Maps App Shows No Roads problem

OP
btreece

btreece

December 5, 2015 represents DAY 40 since Intel's Integrated HD Graphics 520 launched with the Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book on October 26, 2015.
The Microsoft Maps App that is included with Windows 10 still does not show ANY roads in roads view on devices with Intel Integrated HD Graphics 520.
The Surface Book also uses Intel's Integrated HD Graphics 520 when the keyboard is detached and has this problem.
There have been two driver updates as well as the stripped down Microsoft Basic Driver as shown in the following screenshot...
Screenshot (9).png

Picking the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter shown at the end of the list above will temporarily solve the issue, but causes all sorts of problems with other programs.

This issue is now 40 days old and has only this one temporary solution in that amount of time.

Let us hope that the solution comes from Microsoft soon!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Book i7/16/512 shows roads when the keyboard is detached after the NVIDIA settings change and the newest display driver.

OP
btreece

btreece

I thought that when in tablet mode, that the Surface Book used an Intel Integrated HD Graphics card 520?

This is due to the physical location of the Nvidia graphics card within the keyboard?

Is there a driver update after November 20?

I congratulate you on your success, but now I am confused!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
With Clipboard attached
Screenshot (107).png

With Clipboard detached (must close Maps default app while attached, then start again after detaching.)
Screenshot (108).png

Last edited:
OP
btreece

btreece

This is my roads view showing no roads (or bridges over the Potomac River)

Maps App.png

It is day 55 of the issue. posted issue on microsoft and intel forums.

OP
btreece

btreece

Forums on both Intel and Microsoft are reporting that there is an unverified (not in Windows update) general display adapter driver available on Intel's website for Integrated HD Graphics 515, 520, 530 & Iris 540 that SOLVES THE MAPS PROBLEM.

Since it is a general (unverified for Surface) display adapter, there are some anti-aliasing issues which cause the maps to not display very sharply, but at least the roads show up! Since today is DAY 63 ISSUE NOT SOLVED, lets hope that Microsoft can solve the anti-aliasing issue for the Surface displays and verify the adapter with a Windows update soon!

Last edited:
OP
btreece

btreece

In regards to the Maps App graphics issue for Intel HD Graphics 510,515, 520, 530, Iris 540 & Iris 550 :

Rohan Thakkar [MSFT] replied Jan 8, 2016
Update 1/8/16: We’ve been working on a fix, but the problem turned out to be a bit more complex than we’d anticipated. If you install the unverified driver, roads become visible again, but the driver causes other rendering issues in the Maps app. We are working hard on solving the overall issue as soon as possible. We understand that this has been a major inconvenience and we sincerely apologize. We can assure you that this is a top priority for our team.

OP
btreece

btreece

Perhaps I can get reimbursed by Microsoft for jacking up my truck and buying oversized tires so "no roads show -- no problem!"

OP
btreece

btreece

The latest firmware update (Feb 17, 2016) included a Graphics driver for Intel Graphics 5## (version 20.19.15.4364) which
was Microsoft's tweek of Intel's driver (version 15.40.14.4352) dated Dec 23, 2015 or 56 days ago.

THIS UPDATE SOLVES THE MAPS APP NOT SHOWING ROADS FOR 114 DAYS!!!!!

ISSUE SOLVED WITH THOSE WITH Intel Graphics 5##!!!!!!!