What's new

Firmware Update 1/31/2017

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

a big ole update for just Miracast functionality? What does "Improves system performance for the latest windows versions" mean?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
a big ole update for just Miracast functionality? What does "Improves system performance for the latest windows versions" mean?
Anybody's guess... it could mean Windows 10 1511 and 1607 or it could mean the upcoming release...

A lot of these descriptions are pretty vague... performance improvements... with no qualification is it 5% or 10% or 0.5% or 0.1%?

Yeah, your welcome for nothing ;)

Turbo4AWD

Is there a noticeable performance difference? I remember on my Surface 3 when I went to the Anniversary update the performance difference was night & day. I only ask because I am considering upgrading again to a Pro 3 instead of a Surface 3. I'm really happy they're sending out firmware updates for the battery issues tho.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a noticeable performance difference? I remember on my Surface 3 when I went to the Anniversary update the performance difference was night & day. I only ask because I am considering upgrading again to a Pro 3 instead of a Surface 3. I'm really happy they're sending out firmware updates for the battery issues tho.
I haven't "noticed" any... but I don't use Miracast or Dock all that much. This seems to be a pretty specific use case "performance improvement". You'd probably have to watch your frame rate playing a game on an external monitor with Miracast or Docked to see it. or perhaps it would show as lower CPU/GPU utilization ... not sure how you would identify an Audio performance improvement. Perhaps with a specialized diagnostic tool to monitor the efficiency of transmission of the Audio signal.

tri0xinn

Maybe I missed an update or 2 but I'm getting fantastic power management now.. I was having issues with SP3 not sleeping or waking at some point where everytime I went to power on there was no battery life yet. Since the update no issues whatsoever .. in fact I haven't plugged in since Thursday.. been using on and off here and there and still have 62 percent, fantastic!

I received the update, but it failed to install. I have attached a picture of my Device Manager showing 3 Firmware drivers that will not start.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Drivers from Device Manager, but nothing changed.

2017-02-06_103522.png

The firmware will not install. When I boot, it says it is installing, but it fails every time. I have run sfc /scannnow with no errors. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Firmware drivers shown in previous post. No change.

Since this is a firmware update I don't know if it is Windows or Hardware related. Is there anyone on this forum who might be able to shed some light on Firmware that refuses to install? It is causing my machine to take over 4 minutes to boot and any help would be much appreciated.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The firmware will not install. When I boot, it says it is installing, but it fails every time. I have run sfc /scannnow with no errors. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Firmware drivers shown in previous post. No change.

Since this is a firmware update I don't know if it is Windows or Hardware related. Is there anyone on this forum who might be able to shed some light on Firmware that refuses to install? It is causing my machine to take over 4 minutes to boot and any help would be much appreciated.
Try the Two Button Shutdown.
Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)

Important
Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:
Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

Try the Two Button Shutdown.
Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)

Important
Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:
Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

Thanks for trying, Greyfox7, but that did not help at all. I have attached a snippet of my update history to show that it is not installing. I am getting error 0x800706be.
2017-02-09_090221.png

Does anyone have any other suggestions?