What's new

Fan heat/Washed colors- Thoughts going from Pro 1 to 3

codo

Okay try to keep the backstory short here, I had the original Pro as soon as it was available in my area, it was good to me but after picking up the demo of the 3 in store I quickly ran out and upgraded due to it being lighter, slimmer, bigger screen and better cameras and also went for the 256gb over 128 in the original.

I'm not really all that satisfied so far and there are two main reasons, which I'd like some thoughts on from others who have experience with both devices who might be able to tell me if I have a legitimate problem or if I'm just crazy.
1) It gets hot much easier than the original. No matter what I do, just regular browsing, which is mostly all I've done, it will get hot, not burning but I can feel it and its uncomfortable. My original Pro only got hot doing intensive tasks.
2) Colors sometimes are washed out. Its like its maxing out the gamma for some reason on its own. I don't know if the Intel HD has trouble with the higher resolution, but sometimes it just looks wrong. Not always, but often times when I turn it on its as if the gamma just sets itself out of wack for some reason. I just went in to power settings and set adaptive brightness on to see if that helps, but we'll see

Other than that I'd have to say I'm mostly happy, it does feel nice in my hands aside from a couple of times lately I've hit the windows button by mistake when holding landscape style as I remember reading in a review or two. Typing on the touch screen feels more responsive (I'll never buy one of those touch covers, a keyboard has to be just so for me to buy it, which is why I picked up an Arc keyboard when it was on sale for $25). I must say though at first there were a few instances where I felt it lagged, particularly while browsing, whereas my original Pro never dropped a beat, ever, that I can recall. Just some things off the top of my head, I'd like some input from other users.

edit: all updates/firmware applied as of posting

kundas1

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with your SP3.. mine doesn't heat up or nothing, and it's running smooth as butter, I would take it back right away and replace it...

dleuen

I agree. My SP3 doesn't get hot browsing and my screen has never looked washed out and I've had the brightness all the way up when using it outside. I always browse using Modern IE. One other thing I did run into once was that I installed Adobe Flash to get the Steam Store to work and after that IE was causing the CPU to get really hot and crank up the fan. I promptly uninstalled Flash and all was well. I'd return your device due to the screen issues though.

be77solo

I wouldn't be so quick as the above posts to condemn your SP3... there are many indexing/update/maintenance tasks that take place in the background that can heat up your SP3 without your knowledge. Next time this happens, open task manager and see what is using your processor. For basic browsing (flash does add more), you'll be 5% or less, so see what is creating the heat.

As far as the gama/color issue, I've noticed similar issues on my previous SP2, my SP3 and also my MSI notebook, all of which use the Intel iGPU by default... I lean to believe it is some bug in the Intel iGPU drivers that randomly surfaces.

OP
C

codo

I'd be less concerned about the heat, but as I said it will heat up regardless of what I'm doing. The mention of Steam and flash is making me wonder though, as Steam is about the only thing I've installed on the device, although I didn't ever use it. I looked at the battery thread and did a report which yielded an average of 3:21 charge time which also was alarming, so I did a reset last night. Battery only drained about 6% overnight and also I'm finding my wifi is still connected when I turn it on now, whereas before there was always a delay. My purchase date was the 25th so I'm going to give it a couple of days and see how it goes, if I'm still having trouble I may exchange it before the 30 days are up.