What's new

External Monitor Flicker

OPTiK

I just got a Dell UltraSharp U3415W hooked up to my i5 SP3 w/dock. I noticed that if I setup the monitor with Display Port 1.2 settings, the monitor will flicker on and off and resolution will reset randomly when coming out of sleep. When I turn DP 1.2 off, everything is fine. I replaced the stock Dell cable with a StarTech (StarTech.com 6 ft Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M - DisplayPort 4k with HBR2 support - 6 feet Mini DP to DP Cable) and the issue is still happening with DP 1.2. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

agt499

Try changing the Refresh Rate.
My wife is in deep thought using out monitors at the moment so I'm totally not certain of the numbers, but I think by default our Dells were detected as 59Hz, but changing to 60Hz permanently eliminated the flicker. (And work fine with the stock Dell mDP→DP cable).
Should help with the flicker, but the randomly resetting resolution my be more of a fact of life between docked/undocked : I find it most reliable to at least logout if not reboot when docking.

Good luck!

leeshor

I thought about the refresh rate the first time I read the post, based on the title 't sound as much like a refresh flicker as it did an intermittent flashing.

OP
O

OPTiK

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've adjusted the refresh rate to 60hz, hopefully it will solve my issue :)

leeshor

In a typical office setting, if in the US, 60 Hz is not going to be a solution for some. With no fluorescent lights it may work.

OP
O

OPTiK

Looks like I'm still having the issue. I changed the SP3 refresh to 60hz too. I was watching a video and the monitor turned off/on. I think I'm going to have to revert the DisplayPort 1.2 setting.