What's new

Extermal monitor from SP eye straining?

lkailburn

Hey all, this is a pretty subjective post but bare with me.

I wanted to get some other first hand experience. I have a Samsung 24" 1080p LED monitor that I was previously using with my old Dell studio laptop. At that time I was running the monitor off the vga output from the laptop and was perfectly comfortable.

With the surface pro I've tried both minidp to vga(Microsoft's adapter), and now minidp to dvi(apple's adapter) with the same monitor. I have my res set to 1080p at 100%.

I can only use the display for about 30 minutes before my eyes start to feel very strained. It's almost like I have to blink and refocus on the text. I've never experienced this before, and still do not with any other setup EXCEPT external monitor hookup running off the SP.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? Maybe I just need to color/contrast adjust the monitor I'm not exactly sure what it is other than my eyes are going nuts!

Luke

OP
L

lkailburn

I haven't. Haven't heard of that actually. Just went through the process to select what looked best. Does it require a reboot to apply? It didn't mention.
I did turn the contrast way down which has helped some.

OP
L

lkailburn

Don't notice much difference honestly. Maybe my eyes are getting used to the high ppi of the surface screen? at home I have a 24" 120hz benq at 1080 and don't have this same issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
If you are looking at a monitor the PPI of the Surface won't make a difference. Things that might make a difference.

1. Connection to the monitor from the Surface. It sounds like you have tried a couple of different things so this is probably not the cause.
2. Screen and resolution settings on the Surface (including adjusting clear type which you did). Since you don't have the issue when connecting to a different monitor it is unlikely that this is the issue.
3. Screen settings on the monitor. This is the most likely cause. Did you adjust the contrast on the monitor or the Surface? Did you adjust any other monitor settings? If your monitor has an auto adjust mode in the settings I would start with that and then go through the other menu options from there.

JP

OP
L

lkailburn

Thanks for the suggestions. I adjusted the contrast on the monitor itself. I'm sure there is an auto adjust but I wasn't able to find it yesterday. I'll keep toying with it but it seems like this is not a common issue so probably just need some adjustments.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express