What's new

Excel performance

dhpeter

Hi everyone,

I am a heavy excel user. Many tables, charts, macros, formulas.

I cannot do this on my iPad obviously so I am looking to replace it.

I want to do this with a balance of economic though as well as performance.

Would 4 meg excel files with charts and macros perform acceptably on a Surface or if not, which Pro model would be fine? I3, i5, i7 4 or 8 ram?

Thank you for your input.
Dan

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That isn't a very large Excel file, any should work...I've done very large Pivot with millions of records on machines much less than the SP4.

OP
D

dhpeter

I actually did not mean to put this here. I meant to put it in the normal surface 3 forum. Must have got mixed up when i registered and logged in.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I actually did not mean to put this here. I meant to put it in the normal surface 3 forum. Must have got mixed up when i registered and logged in.
I moved it to the SP4 forums because your question related to the SP4, the Surface 3 comes in with only one CPU Option - the Intel ATOM X7, with either 2 or 4 GB RAM and between 32-128 GB of Storage.

With that said, if that is still the largest Excel file you're using the Surface 3 should do fine....but you may want to clarify your above post to specify that you are looking at the Surface 3 and not the SP4.

OP
D

dhpeter

I think that it is a good point. It could fit in either forum I suppose. I am now thinking about a surface PRO 4 because of the refinement and newness and it has a trade in program with my ipad, which is spectacular.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that it is a good point. It could fit in either forum I suppose. I am now thinking about a surface PRO 4 because of the refinement and newness and it has a trade in program with my ipad, which is spectacular.
Can you tell us which model iPad you're using for reference.
Tx.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They would give me $330 trade in value for my iPad air 2 16gig gold (with charger)
So, performance of a S3 would be similar to that although the features and functionality between Office on iOS and "real" Office on Windows is where the rubber meets the road.

OP
D

dhpeter

So, performance of a S3 would be similar to that although the features and functionality between Office on iOS and "real" Office on Windows is where the rubber meets the road.

Pretty good comparison. I think I'm going to explore the SP4 option. I am a mac guy. I love my macbook pro but this device (Sp4) is really amazing. Apple continues the development is has been doing the past couple years and i'll probably not have any apple products.