What's new

ERROR: Secure variable update is locked down!

chieftan

Hey all,

[Machine: Surface Pro 2 256g]

Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and would have a possible fix.

I (unfortunately) installed all Windows Updates and Firmware Updates and now have this strange issue.

I can successfully boot into my machine (maybe after 3 retries from the UEFI Boot Loop) and everything looks fine once I log in (no real indication in the event logs there are any issues).

However, my boot screen appears red (from the boot loop) but when I try to 'Install the default keys', I get prompted with the following message:
'Secure variable update is locked down!'

Is there a fix for this? cmd? powershell? I tried a factory reset with no luck.
Allows me to complete it but then I get the random boot loop again.

Chieftan.

OP
C

chieftan

Oh also, my GF has a fresh new SP2 256g also without any updates installed.
Can I somehow copy/extract her settings and force them back onto mine?

AHhh its killing me!

kundas1

I believe reading a similar problem is that they disabled secure boot on their device which is why they(and you) have a red boot screen.. there is a how to on this forum to fix it... just do a search. :wink:

OP
C

chieftan

Hi kundas...

Not quite the issue.. Wasn't seeing the red boot screen at all.
I ended up creating a backup usb from my GF's and reset my surface.

Installation completed fine without any issues.

Decided to test the surface to ensure that it was all good.. I probably restarted 10 times and it loaded up the UEFI boot screen probably twice (non red screen so Secure boot is enabled).

It's still annoying that It still boots me to the UEFI settings every once in a while, but I guess its better than it not working.

BUT... if anyone has any other clues or ideas which I should try feel free to post them here and I'll give it a go :)

kundas1

However, my boot screen appears red (from the boot loop) but when I try to 'Install the default keys', I get prompted with the following message:
'Secure variable update is locked down!.

Well you did say in your first post that your boot screen was red, so I immediately thought of the same problem a fellow SP2 was having...

Nuspieds

Hey all,

[Machine: Surface Pro 2 256g]

Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and would have a possible fix.

I (unfortunately) installed all Windows Updates and Firmware Updates and now have this strange issue.

I can successfully boot into my machine (maybe after 3 retries from the UEFI Boot Loop) and everything looks fine once I log in (no real indication in the event logs there are any issues).

'Secure variable update is locked down!'

Is there a fix for this? cmd? powershell? I tried a factory reset with no luck.
Allows me to complete it but then I get the random boot loop again.

Chieftan.
Yes, this happened to me with my SP2. I was unable to boot--even via USB.

When I searched the internet, although I did find others who had experienced the same problem, unfortunately I did not find a fix. So I ended up calling Microsoft Support. We tried a lot of things, but nothing worked.

The final solution was for me to do a machine swap.

OP
C

chieftan

Yes, this happened to me with my SP2. I was unable to boot--even via USB.

When I searched the internet, although I did find others who had experienced the same problem, unfortunately I did not find a fix. So I ended up calling Microsoft Support. We tried a lot of things, but nothing worked.

The final solution was for me to do a machine swap.

Hi Nuspieds,

Thanks for that.. I think I'll contact MS and try and get a swap :).

Nuspieds

Hi Nuspieds,

Thanks for that.. I think I'll contact MS and try and get a swap :).
No problem.

But note that I was able to do the swap because I was under warranty--specifically, extended warranty. Furthermore, once we decided the machine was dead and a swap was the solution, based on other messages I had read here, I requested the advanced replacement, where they would "immediately" send me the replacement machine, but put a hold on my credit card until they received the dead SP2.

The Answer Tech told me that they only do the advanced swap as long as you're still within the 30-day purchase period. I don't know if that's really true or not, but he still went ahead and processed my case as an advanced replacement. The issue had happened to me at the most unfortunate time: The night before I was about to take a trip across the country. It was in the morning (Monday), at the airport, that I called Microsoft Support and when all was said and done, they worked very hard to get me the replacement and I have nothing but high praises for their efforts and professionalism.

Even though they had shipped out my replacement device, we still continued to search for an in-shore, over-the-counter swap (because at the end of the week, I was travelling back home). So after they initiated the process to send me the replacement unit, we finally found a store that had stock, so I opted to do that instead and then I just simply did a return-to-sender for the package they shipped.

Anyway, I hope you're still under warranty and, if you are, try to get that advanced replacement, if you can.

Last edited: