What's new

Erratic File Explorer

jott27

The Windows File Explorer accepts a USB device in its proper way, and displays the content as expected. After I finished whatever I was doing with the USB device (Memory stick) I attempt to disconnect the device by rightclicking on the device ID. This brings up the "reject". Clicking on this will then display the message that the device is busy by another program and cannot be rejected. There are no other programs running, and no matter what, I cannot reject the device. Obviously, I can just disconnect it anyway, but run the risk of loosing data. Is there a way to correct this erroneous behaviour?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @jott27

If you opened any of the files on the USB drive, that started a program or app in order to view or use the file. If you opened a photo, a graphics app was started. If you opened a text file, Notepad or the like was started. If you opened an audio file, a player was started. If you opened an Office document or a .pdf file, an Office or pdf viewer was opened. Then you may physically remove your ISB memory. You do not need to choose to eject.

So when you are finished with the file, you should not merely disconnect the file (USB memory) from your Surface. You must first CLOSE the file in the app which was started, or CLOSE the app.

Another note: Sometimes you have directed Windows 10 to perform some service or task whenever a USB memory stick is inserted. If so, that is the service or task which must be closed.

Let us know if it seems the problem cannot be fixed.

ScottyS

Sometimes even if you've closed the app that opened the file it is still "in use" by a service and won't let you eject (or move a file or folder) that still "in use".
A reboot should solve this.
There's also a free app called IObit Unlocker which can show you what's holding something (file, folder, drive, etc.) and let you force it to release.

OP
jott27

jott27

Yes, of course, I meant Eject (Sorry for the spell error). Here is a sequence of my actions:
I plug in USB stick
The USB stick shows up in the File explorer and the content of the USB is shown in the right panel.
I do nothing at all, except now I rightclick the USB ID
The "Eject" shows
Click on the "Eject"
Error message shows : USB_32G(D:) is currently in use......
I am mystified what possible program I can close.

OP
jott27

jott27

Sometimes even if you've closed the app that opened the file it is still "in use" by a service and won't let you eject (or move a file or folder) that still "in use".
A reboot should solve this.
There's also a free app called IObit Unlocker which can show you what's holding something (file, folder, drive, etc.) and let you force it to release.
Thanks for telling me about the IObit Unlocker app. I tried it in one of my problem case, and it works! It ejected my USB stick flawlessly.

OP
jott27

jott27

Method 3 works !!
It is a workaround and does its trick. Also "Iobit Unlocker" works well. I would have thought that the "Eject" in File Explorer would do it without jumping the hoops to do it!
For the time being I am still inclined to stick with my subject heading "Erratic File Explorer". Maybe future versions will do the "Eject" less painful.