What's new

ePub Reader

R0bR

In one of these threads someone was looking for an ePub reader. I haven't used it but there's a new app released called Liberty Book Reader that says you can import ePub and FB2 books.

Russ

R0bR --

I am using Freda to read ePub books. It allows me to browse for books and is a good reader.

I don't think Liberty Book Reader is ready for Prime Time. I installed it after reading your post. It needs a lot of help in the opening interface -- just an otherwise blank screen that says "Bookshelf." I finally right-clicked and got an "Add" button down in the lower right corner. I navigated to my book collection and opened an ePub book I am currently reading in Freda. I did that before I started this post. It is still opening that file, . . . . . or something. Maybe it's gone to lunch, although it really is supper time here in Georgia.

Film at eleven? :)

Take care,
Russ

p.s.: Aha! Just as I was about to hit the Post button, it opened the file. Nope; it's not ready for Prime Time. Freda is a much better ePub reader.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Liberty renders very slowly, but of all of the epub readers it renders the most true. I read many MS Press Books and O'Reilly, all technical with diagrams, charts and code samples and so far the only to render correctly is Liberty and I've tried them all...

ontulmora

So far the best one I have used is Bazaar Book Reader, beautiful interface and does a great job with ePubs, my only complaint is no PDF support. The developer did tell me in an email that PDF support is planned.

Russ

@jnjroach

Liberty . . . of all of the epub readers it renders the most true.

That's good info; thanks. All of my ePub books are conversions from MOBI, and the conversions can be a little ragged, so I'm not able to properly assess whether the reader is making a true rendering. My use of the ePub reader is primarily for pastime, but will keep that in mind if I have a more demanding need.

@ontulmora --

re: Book Bazaar Reader

Thanks for the tip. I installed it after reading your post and like it very much. I do prefer its interface over Freda. At first glance, it seems to be a bit slower than Freda, but, I don't think it's enough to matter.

My real hope is to find a .MOBI reader for the RT. Virtually my whole library is MOBI, and, so far, the conversions to epub are erratic and produce anomalies in the text. I've tried a few different converters, including Calibre, and find that none are immune.

Take care,
Russ

Last edited:

ontulmora

@jnjroach

Virtually my whole library is MOBI, and, so far, the conversions to epub are erratic and produce anomalies in the text. I've tried a few different converters, including Calibre, and find that none are immune.
Same issue I had, a lot of my books are PDF and there isn't a good conversion that keeps everything looking good.

Jim Chapman

Hi,

Just a quick post to share some info about plans for the development of Freda.

Right now, I am working on improving the sharpness of text display, and sorting out things like CODE and PRE text in books. I'll also work on the function for selecting and highlighting/copying sections of text (right now, the highlight/annotate/bookmark function only sets a mark on a single word, not a larger piece of text). Other features in the pipeline include: more work in integration with DropBox and SkyDrive (like on the Windows Phone version of the program), and then the ability to synchronise your reading across multiple devices.

- Jim Chapman - Developer of Freda

ontulmora

@Jim Chapman
Any chance we will get PDF support? That is the only thing keeping me from choosing a reader app.

Russ

what is an epub reader? Is that different than the Kindle app?

HB --

Book files are in different file formats. Epub, mobi, pdf and azw are the major ones. Amazon's Kindle reader app primarily reads books in Amazon's .azw format, but on some platforms (PC and iPad) it will also read the .mobi format. On Surface RT, it will only read .azw files. There are several reader apps for the .epub format.

Regards,
Russ