What's new

Edge makes SP3 fan turn on

I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if theres a way to fix it. Whenever I'm browsing with edge, the fan on my sp3 turns on and stays on at high rpm, making my laptop hot. What's the deal?

CrippsCorner

Been having fan problems myself (original Surface Pro) and have come to the conclusion that's Edge that's making it occur most of the time. Very frustrating... especially as even having shut Edge down, they'll carry on running full pelt for about 15 minutes afterwards.

At least on Windows 8, when the fans did fire up, they'd shut up as soon as that application had ended! Come on Microsoft... don't let Google beat you at your own game (Chrome works flawlessly)

kristalsoldier

Been having fan problems myself (original Surface Pro) and have come to the conclusion that's Edge that's making it occur most of the time. Very frustrating... especially as even having shut Edge down, they'll carry on running full pelt for about 15 minutes afterwards.

At least on Windows 8, when the fans did fire up, they'd shut up as soon as that application had ended! Come on Microsoft... don't let Google beat you at your own game (Chrome works flawlessly)

Well, I notice that when Edge is open the fans do come on - especially on busy sites. And when closed, it takes about 5 mins to settle down. I do wish MS at least pays urgent attention to the browser.

CrippsCorner

It's a shame because the only time I use Edge is when I'm in tablet mode. Then it's quieter and I'm holding in my hands... so the loudness of the fans and the heat drive me made!

Probably be better on the Surface Pro 3 where you can have it at a better angle meaning you wouldn't have to hold it in most situations.

kristalsoldier

I would have thought MS would focus on Edge more than anything else since it is integral to the Surface line - Pro and otherwise. I really wish they would not wait till Oct to get Edge into shape. As a concept it is good, but it is still very unfinished.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I will tell you that Edge is much better in the TH2 Builds even without ad blocking....

kristalsoldier

I will tell you that Edge is much better in the TH2 Builds even without ad blocking....

Thanks. But is the release date of an updated and optimized Edge still Oct or whenever that reported significant update to W10 is due (later in the year)?