What's new

Dual 4K Monitors using Docking Station

rquellet

It is possible to drive two 4K monitors plus the Surface's screen by using the dock's mini display port and the Surface's mini display port at the same time.

The Surface can't drive a 4K monitor at 60Hz, but it can at 50Hz with a custom resolution. Everything was pretty smooth, even at 50Hz.

I used two 27" Dell P2715Q 4K monitors with the following custom resolution: 3840 x 2160 @50Hz, Timing Standard: CVT-RB. A custom resolution can be created by installing the latest Intel graphics driver and running the Custom Resolutions tool in the HD Graphics Control Panel.

Pictures or it didn't happen... : ) See attached.
20150204_122937 (2) - Copy.jpg

20150204_122930 (2) - Copy.jpg

mteich

Thank you,

I was thinking for a while to replace my old 1080p 24" with a 4K Dell. I was wondering if I should get the 24" or 27". The size of the 24" would be enough but I would like to know if the scaling is better in relation to the surface with the 24" or 27". What scaling setting are you using? If both are set at 150% the Surface would be at normal resolution and the the 27" should be like using a 1440p 27" right? That would seem to be nice. Using a 24" I would set surface and 24" rather at 200% i guess.

Thank you for your answer!

Tsurugaya

I only have 2 WQHD monitors connected. Those are run at 100%. And in the middle I have a 1080 HD monitor in portrait mode. you should pretty much be able to have twice the screen real estate compared to mine so 150% should be just fine. I just wish that the docking station came with a GPU so that it was possible to run three 4K monitors connected to it.

OP
R

rquellet

Thank you,

I was thinking for a while to replace my old 1080p 24" with a 4K Dell. I was wondering if I should get the 24" or 27". The size of the 24" would be enough but I would like to know if the scaling is better in relation to the surface with the 24" or 27". What scaling setting are you using? If both are set at 150% the Surface would be at normal resolution and the the 27" should be like using a 1440p 27" right? That would seem to be nice. Using a 24" I would set surface and 24" rather at 200% i guess.

Thank you for your answer!

The main reason I purchased the 27" 4K monitor was for the DPI scaling to be the same between the Surface's screen and the monitor's screen. Windows chooses 150% DPI scaling for this monitor which is the same DPI scaling that the Surface's screen uses. No more scaling issues when docking / undocking the Surface!

ptrkhh

Very cool! That's almost 20MP in total! And theyre all running in a very respectable refresh rate (not 30Hz nonsense).

Just a few years ago, a desktop PC couldn't even power that much pixels without multiple graphics cards. And now? An 800gr tablet.

malberttoo

Very cool! That's almost 20MP in total! And theyre all running in a very respectable refresh rate (not 30Hz nonsense).

Just a few years ago, a desktop PC couldn't even power that much pixels without multiple graphics cards. And now? An 800gr tablet.

Agree on both counts- it is very cool; and amazing how fast technology advances.

Haldi

wait what how?
Running 1 Screen at 3840x2160 in 50hz requires a Video bitrate of 9.95Gbit/s if you run in 24bit depth.
2 Screens = roughly 20Gbits
Displayport 1.2 only has 17.28Gbit/s

so how ? the Screens are not Mirrored are they?

Edit: OH you CAN use the dock's MiniDP Port at the same time as the one on the Tablet? Thats awesome!

pinoy45

Man, I should have bought the 4k monitors too. I thought it cannot be done. So I bought the Dell U Series.

kMlRCQO.jpg

dstrauss

And I thought I was uber-geek for running two 27" WQHD monitors off the dock - does that mean I could do FOUR using the SPro 3 mini-DP?

OP
R

rquellet

And I thought I was uber-geek for running two 27" WQHD monitors off the dock - does that mean I could do FOUR using the SPro 3 mini-DP?
You might be able to. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it... : ). The 4K's are really nice because of DPI scaling not being an issue, maybe you should get a couple of 4K's.

dstrauss

You might be able to. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it... : ). The 4K's are really nice because of DPI scaling not being an issue, maybe you should get a couple of 4K's.

I can see that conversation going real well - "Honey, remember those two old monitors (bought last year $600 each) at work, they just aren't cutting it - I can get two 4k's for only $500 each at Dell."

WAIT A MINUTE - I though this unit could only support ONE 4K monitor?