What's new

Dropped SP2 and now it won't turn on

JoelH

Hi folks,

I have had my SP2 since 2014 and despite having to frequently replace the charger i have been very happy with it. Occasionally it does this thing where it won't turn on but usually it comes back after awhile. Recently, however, it fell and has not turned on since. I'd hate for it to be dead and it has come back in the past. So I'm wondering if there are any simple remedies i could try.

Thanks.

Joel

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @JoelH . So sorry to hear about dropping your SB2.

What may have happened is your Surface Pro 2 may have been distorted due to the fall, just enough to break some connection somewhere. You may be able to compress and wiggle your SP2 to repair that. It is worth a try.

OP
J

JoelH

Hi, @JoelH . So sorry to hear about dropping your SB2.

What may have happened is your Surface Pro 2 may have been distorted due to the fall, just enough to break some connection somewhere. You may be able to compress and wiggle your SP2 to repair that. It is worth a try.
I get wiggle. How do i compress?

Last edited by a moderator:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I get wiggle. How do i compress?

Find the corner or side which took the hit first. Then choose the corner or side which is at a right angle to the side that got hit. Not the corner or side opposite, but adjacent. If the hit is the 12 o’clock position, try squeezing the 3 And 9 o’clock position. Squeeze or compress your SP2, perhaps with a block of wood or a book on the tabletop. The idea is to try to undo the rapid compression of the fall. You may want to connect your charger when you are doing this to see if it comes to life.

Another idea: Try connecting power to the bottom of the screen (tablet mode).