What's new

Driving me nuts: about every half hour the mouse gets lost...

mmo

As good as I find the SP4 in general, there is one thing that again and again drives me nuts within seconds:
This darn things again and again "looses" the mouse (or actually: all its mice).

I.e. in the midst of doing something suddenly the mouse (Arc Touch BT Mouse) does not react any more.
Same with the Surface trackpad in the attached keyboard. The keys work, but the trackpad is "dead" i.e. one can't move the arrow.

This is so infuriating and ridiculous! There I sit in front of a device that has cost me more than $2500 and I can't even move the mouse! This state always takes about 1/2 minute and then suddenly things are back to normal.

I assume that the mouse driver has some issue and that there is some timeout before it gets automatically restarted. I kept running task manager for a while, but there seems no unusual activity during these mouse-freeze periods. Anybody having the same issues? Any known cure for this?

bluegrass

Has this happened for ever? Did it start happening after installing new software? Did it start happening after having some OS updates installed?

I would go to Device Manager and delete the mouse driver. After you reboot, it should re-install the mouse driver.

OP
M

mmo

Has this happened for ever? Did it start happening after installing new software? Did it start happening after having some OS updates installed?
It has happened occasionally before (essentially from day 1) but I have the feeling that after the latest major Windows 10 update this effect became worse, i.e. more frequent.

I would go to Device Manager and delete the mouse driver. After you reboot, it should re-install the mouse driver.
I did that once already to no avail. My impression is that this is not a basic mouse driver issue (because then all mouse drivers (BT mouse, touchpad, sometimes - but not always - even the pen-input) would need to have an issue at the very same time. I rather think it must be in some higher layer(s) handling the mouse driver input and translating them into application events (or so) that is blocking or crashing here.

FaeMinx

I have this on my SP2... I *suspect* it has something to do with bluetooth. ..

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mmo

That would explain the BT mouse going offline, but whenever that happens the trackpad (part of the attached "type cover" keyboard) goes non-responsive, too. And the type cover is connected magnetically attached via a physical connector at the bottom side of the tablet.