What's new

Downloader App with InstantGo (Connected Standby) feature

shan109

Hi!

I would like to know what app I can use for downloading (especially for torrenting) while my Surface is at sleep (Connected Stand-by)?

I'm not sure if I'm correct but from what I understood, if a an app or program is enabled with InstantGo/Connected Standby, that app will continue to be online even while in sleep mode.

If that's the case, is there a downloader/torrent manager program which utilizes this feature?
Please recommend a program if such exists.

Thanks!

I also want to know this. I wish there was a way to turn off the screen and keep non-metro apps running. Get so frustrated that the Surface lacks this simple feature. Sometimes I want to download/upload something, sometimes I just want to listen to Slacker radio (web page) and not have my screen on.

leeshor

If it works in sleep mode, mostly 32-bit Metro/RT style apps just use the screen saver mode to turn of the monitor. That's not the same thing as turning the monitor off in power settings but it's a close second.

Yillbs

Sorry to chime in here, but when you sleep, do you also drive a car ? No, why would you expect the device to actually do any work while asleep, sorry, any meaningful sleep.

go into settings, and " tell microsoft what to do when you close the lid ", select " turn off the screen ", you'll still save some battery, but not much. Having the device asleep, and downloading content isn't a " simple " feature at all, in fact, i'm not sure of any device ( windows ) that can sleep and do that. A sleep mode is defined

" is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working." - I'm not sure how it's supposed to do any meaningful work when it's asleep, this is the description provided to us by Microsoft themselves. It's really just putting your programs / settings into memory ( RAM ) , and turning off all the mechanical, and power driven items within. Including the hard drive.