What's new

Does touchpad disable when external mouse used?

imsam67

Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase a SP3. I'm also thinking about purchasing the type cover.

I don't like using touchpads in general and typically use a mouse. In the past, I've had issues with some Dell laptops where connecting a mouse did not disable the touchpad which is a problem for me as I unintentionally touch the touchpad as I type.

Has anyone tried connecting a mouse to a SP3? If so, does the touchpad disable when SP3 detects a mouse?

Thanks,
Sam

kurtkurtosis

I am using a Logitech Anywhere mouse with a wireless dongle in parallel with the SP3 trackpad & keyboad. All three device work at the same time.

I even tried the Logitech K810 keyboard. Can type on both the SP3 and K810 at the same time.

daniielrp

It never has on my SP2, but I can simply go and switch the trackpad off from settings. I assume the SP3 is the same.

jedge

It never has on my SP2, but I can simply go and switch the trackpad off from settings. I assume the SP3 is the same.

Nope. While you can disable the touchpad entirely, you'd have to do it from device manager and that's hardly a good solution. Microsoft did release an App called Trackpad Settings app for Windows in the Windows Store, but it's for the SP2 and as of yesterday it doesn't support the new Type Cover 2 at all. :(

Last edited: