What's new

Does a recovery reinstall from Windows 8.1 revert back to Windows 8?

ixtapalapaquetl

Hey all. Over the next few days I will be putting together a guide on how to create a customized recovery image that will allow one to reinstall Windows 8.1 via Recovery, but still have all apps and data intact. I think you will find it to be super useful!

I am thinking through the problems users might encounter and realized there is something I don't know that is pretty critical. Here's my question:

If you are on Windows 8.1 and you do a clean reinstall through Recovery>Reinstall, is your computer still on 8.1 or does it revert back to Windows 8 and need to be upgraded to 8.1 again?

And a follow up question:

If so, does Windows update itself through Windows Update to 8.1 or are more complex procedures required?

I always use an 8.1 image and no longer have my 8 image to test this out. So can anyone share their experience to help me out?

jollywombat

Guessing you have an original SP device. Likely for those with the original SP1's, you will revert back to Windows 8. You then have to manually go to the Windows Store (not windows update) and download the 8.1 update from there.

Those with a SP2 have 8.1 already as their base recovery image, so do not have to deal with this.

Since 8.1, it saves your applications and settings online already assuming you have a MS account login, and when you finish the reset of the device, you can tell it to grab all the settings and apps that you had previously and it will restore it without your having to do anything special, same for your documents if you have skydrive enabled.

Omni

Once 8.1 is installed it with always stay 8.1 unless you flash a recovery pen drive.

jackh

Guessing you have an original SP device. Likely for those with the original SP1's, you will revert back to Windows 8. You then have to manually go to the Windows Store (not windows update) and download the 8.1 update from there.

Those with a SP2 have 8.1 already as their base recovery image, so do not have to deal with this.

Since 8.1, it saves your applications and settings online already assuming you have a MS account login, and when you finish the reset of the device, you can tell it to grab all the settings and apps that you had previously and it will restore it without your having to do anything special, same for your documents if you have skydrive enabled.

Another question about the Recovery Image and Partitions on the SSD on the Pro 2 with 8.1 Pro -- I show 4 partitions on the Main SSD drive on my PRO 2 512gb

C: 470GB total 385GB free NFTS

3 no named Volumes

1st-Recovery Partition 340MB total 340MB free- Basic

2nd-EFI System Partition 200MB total 200MB free-Basic

3rd-Recovery Partition 5.66GB Total 5.66GB Free-Basic

Question is Aren't these 3 Basic Partitions supposed to contain the Recovery/Refresh images to either refresh/Reset the System with?

Yet all 3 seem to show no used space on them!!!

In Advance Thanks!

Jack

OP
I

ixtapalapaquetl

@jackh: There is hidden stuff/stuff Windows can't access on those partitions. The 340MB partition has the Refresh files, and the 200MB partition has boot stuff on it. The 5.66GB partition has the full Reinstall stuff on it. The files are there, they're just not accessible in the normal way.

@jollywombat: Thanks mate - that was what I couldn't remember. I have both SP1 and SP2, but have long since deleted the Reinstall files and just couldn't remember how they worked originally. What you say is true for Metro apps and SkyDrive. My guide will be more targeted at users who work primarily from the desktop using desktop apps, and those who don't use SkyDrive. More of a power user thing, I guess. The software I use isn't available in Metro, and I don't trust the idea of cloud storage. To each his/her own, obviously. Thanks again for the info.

jackh

@jackh: There is hidden stuff/stuff Windows can't access on those partitions. The 340MB partition has the Refresh files, and the 200MB partition has boot stuff on it. The 5.66GB partition has the full Reinstall stuff on it. The files are there, they're just not accessible in the normal way.

Thank You very much!!

I was afraid I deleted them when I made my USB Flash Drive Recovery Drive

Jack