What's new

Docking Station video issue

srw76

Here's the issue that we had with the first Surface Pro and it now appears to be the exact same issue with the replacement device.
When the tablet is in a dock and then turned off, it will not boot into Windows(gets stuck at black Surface logo screen) on while in the dock. I have to take it out of the dock and do a hard reset(hold power for 10-15 seconds). I had thought that it was just the dock that is part of the problem, but the same thing happens when I put it in a different dock. I have tried a reset of all power settings, disabling any power saving features, checked for updated firmware and a full reinstall of Windows.

Next I started disconnecting things from the dock one by one and found that the issue only happens when the display port adapter is plugged in to the dock. I have tried different display port adapters, different monitors and different docking stations and it doesn't change the issue.

We have 2 other Surface Pro's that were purchased at the same time and have the exact same setup and they do not have this issue.

It is very strange that we have the exact same issue on a replacement that Microsoft delivered.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps something synced in from your account or computer settings. Try creating a different account and see if it has the same problem with either a local account or a new MS account. However, you may have to try a Reset and not sync any computer or account settings. Just a thought based on the hypothesis the new computer was infected by bad settings from the old computer/account.

OP
S

srw76

It was a local account on both the old and the new device. I have tried a full reset and that does not make a difference.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The serial number is indeed different on this one, they didn't just send the same one back? :)

fletch33

i have read about this. i have the dock always connected to a HDMI to a monitor, USB3 to HDMI to monitor, audio out, and a logitech wireless adapter and for work i use a screen share app that on occasion i have to restart the SP3 to get the app to properly select the correct screen to share.

that has been my only issue

ronny5

Here's the issue that we had with the first Surface Pro and it now appears to be the exact same issue with the replacement device.
When the tablet is in a dock and then turned off, it will not boot into Windows(gets stuck at black Surface logo screen) on while in the dock. I have to take it out of the dock and do a hard reset(hold power for 10-15 seconds). I had thought that it was just the dock that is part of the problem, but the same thing happens when I put it in a different dock. I have tried a reset of all power settings, disabling any power saving features, checked for updated firmware and a full reinstall of Windows.

Next I started disconnecting things from the dock one by one and found that the issue only happens when the display port adapter is plugged in to the dock. I have tried different display port adapters, different monitors and different docking stations and it doesn't change the issue.

We have 2 other Surface Pro's that were purchased at the same time and have the exact same setup and they do not have this issue.

It is very strange that we have the exact same issue on a replacement that Microsoft delivered.

This is interesting, where you able to resolve? I have same issue as you, when SP3 is docked with mini DisplayPort adapter to vga display attached via dock. On restart fine but after shutdown and then power up it gets stuck on Surface logo. for a while the SP3 remains active (caps toggles and feel slight vibration when tapping on windows button) but then will lockup, also back right top on SP3 gets quite warm (almost hot). Before it locks up ctrl-alt-del will reboot the SP3 but again sticks on Surface logo, so seems to me that the SP3 may go into interact mode but the surface logo will not switch to text display mode or something like this to allow me to view what the issue is, perhaps there is a shortcut key to do this. When I press power button the SP3 screen goes blank and when I power backup (short press) the SP3 will boot successfully after a short delay (30 seconds) or so. I have a support case open for the issue but not gaining any real traction even though 2 replacement docking stations and a SP3 have been sent out so far and it was determined that a series of docking stations where manufactured without AC-coupling caps in the DisplayPort signal path . Our CEO bought this now over 6 six weeks ago and I still haven't been able to get it deployed to his desk because of this issue. I will create a new on this matter and other issues I am suffering related to firmware updates, failing on a active directory joined SP3 managed by WSUS. Would love to hear from anyone that might offer some useful info on this matter, the experience so far is been quite frustrating. Surly there must thousands of others out there with a similar corporate setup not having these issues? or do they just suck it up and to get around the problem plug the DisplayPort adapter direct into the SP3. thanks

ronny5

Correction: the SP3 doesn't actually lock up, ctrl-alt-del and cap still work, only windows tap no longer vibrates

kg2140

Try this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087655 I had a similar issue and this fixed it so far on 8 of 8 devices.

ronny5

Thanks for the info, and link. We still have a support case open with Microsoft on this issue, I received information from them 24/08/2015 about the hotfix. At the time I applied the hostfix to one of the SP3 devices as per instruction and confirm that the issue was resolved if the SP3 device was not removed from the dock. So could shutdown and and reboot with no problems after hotfix. But the issue still remains if the SP3 is detached from dock after shutdown, at this point it doesn't matter if the SP3 is plugged into another dock or powered up standalone the dots start circling again, perpetually. For the first minute are so you can reboot the sp3 via ctrl-alt-del or toggle power button the device will not come of this state. Only when you wait longer then at some point the power button no longer responds to pressing you have force shutdown the device to make it possible to boot it back up normally. Microsoft went so far to suggest that we were detaching the SP3 from the dock whilst it was still shutting down, which then caused the SP3 to flag dirty. There is no easy way of telling if the device in on or off other than the caps lock indicator, which is very hard to see anyway under normal light conditions. The situation at present is that Microsoft contacted me last Friday with an update that they are now setting up a test bed the same as we have using a minidisplay port to vga adapter to see if they can confirm same. So we wait now for that to happen, at least they calling me now and having the chase every couple of weeks. I noticed that our case number also has changed at some point, this has now been on the go since Easter and I have a dedicated folder setup in my mailbox which contains nearly 200 email messages at this time. Anyway that aside, I just have a gut feeling that one of the pins remains high at shutdown which causes the SP3 whinge, it frustrates me that it is seemingly not possible to see any boot information on the screen because that could tell us what it is tripping over, perhaps gone into some interactive mode requiring user interaction to continue, who knows. What I do know is the CEO is really wrapped with he SP3 device warts and all and that has to count for something too, in fact I am loving it too. There is a rumor that a new model Surface pro is coming next month which will have the ability to insert a sim card and he will want to change to that quickly. I will post further updates as they come.