What's new

Do you use screen protectors?

ChrisPanzer

apparently there's a reason why manufacturers still insist on glare-laden screens....

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...ti-reflective-display-for-mobile-devices.html

Article:
If you’ve ever tried to watch a video on a tablet on a sunny day, you know you have to tilt it at just the right angle to get rid of glare or invest in a special filter. But now scientists are reporting in the journal ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces that they’ve developed a novel glass surface that reduces both glare and reflection, which continue to plague even the best mobile displays today.

Valerio Pruneri and colleagues note that much effort has been poured into anti-reflective and anti-glare technology. In the highly competitive digital age, any bonus feature on a device gives it an edge. But for the most part, that hasn’t included an integrated anti-glare, anti-reflective display. Users still typically have to dish out extra cash for a filter or film — some of questionable effectiveness — to lay on top of their glass screens so they can use the devices in bright light. One of the most promising developments involves layering anti-reflective nano-structures on top of an anti-glare surface. But the existing technique doesn’t work well with glass, the material of choice for many electronic displays, so Pruneri’s team at ICFO (The Institute of Photonic Sciences) in collaboration with Prantik Mazumder’s team at Corning Incorporated set out to find a new method.

On a very fine scale, they roughened a glass surface so it could scatter light and ward off glare but without hurting the glass’s transparency. Then the researchers etched nano-size teeth into the surface to make it anti-reflective. In addition to achieving both of these visual traits, the researchers showed the textured surface repelled water, mimicking a lotus leaf. Although the anti-glare roughening protects the nano-size glass teeth, further research is needed to ensure that the surface can withstand heavy touchscreen use, they say. They add that the method is inexpensive and can easily be scaled up for industry use.

GoodBytes

Phantom Glass. Is the way to go.
It's literary the same glass as what the Surface Pro 3 has (Gorilla Glass). So:
-> Perfectly clear.. like REALLY clear. Not "HD clear.. but not clear enough so we made a hole for the camera"-type clear. No. Real clear
-> Does not alter colors
-> Does not alter view angles
-> Does not interfere with touch
-> Does not interfere with pen
-> Will not chip like cheaper tempered glass options
-> Is not thick like cheaper tempered glass options
-> Has a oleophobic coating so that it help repels finger prints, much like the Surface Pro has.
-> No liquid solution to use to stick it
-> No bubbles
-> Does not leave any residue when removed

Here is my mini-review on it. I highly recommend it. Be sure to read the update.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199511-was-linus-right-phantom-glass-mini-review/

I have tried many screen protector. Phantom Glass is the only I would go for any of my devices without any doubt or second guess.

jamesk

How does Phatom glass compare to Zagg Glass? I noticed Zagg Glass has a little resistance when I swipe and my pen makes kind of a screeching noise on it.

GoodBytes

How does Phatom glass compare to Zagg Glass? I noticed Zagg Glass has a little resistance when I swipe and my pen makes kind of a screeching noise on it.
Phantom Glass literally is using Gorilla Glass. As the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 are using the same glass, it will feel exactly like if you are not using a screen protector.

People have not noticed I had a screen protector on my Surface Pro 2 until I mentioned it, even when interacting with it. And to me, it feels exactly like I have no screen protector, despite having one in term of finger gliding when using the touch screen, and pen on a daily basis.

And just like the Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3, the glass surface is easy to clean. Just take a micro fiber cloth and just wipe and all the finger print disappears.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't stand screen protectors. Have one on my phone because it is in a position where it gets a lot of wear and tear, but on my surface, not a chance. Only reason i'd want one would be for anti-glare, but i've never found one that doesn't masacre the clarity of the screen.

double07

I normally use tempered glass on all my smaller devices. I tried one of those plastic stuff on my SP3. I removed it after a week or so of using the screen protector. It's just not the same with the plastic screen protector on larger device. Somehow, the interactive experience just missing something?? Maybe, it was in my mind. The glass might be a better option if you must have one on. I will probably try to get the tempered glass later.

GoodBytes

I normally use tempered glass on all my smaller devices. I tried one of those plastic stuff on my SP3. I removed it after a week or so of using the screen protector. It's just not the same with the plastic screen protector on larger device. Somehow, the interactive experience just missing something?? Maybe, it was in my mind. The glass might be a better option if you must have one on. I will probably try to get the tempered glass later.

No. It's not you. The plastic sheets are garbage. The problem is that plastic is actually not transparent. Depending on its composition, it either has a tint of blue or yellow. And the texture is not perfectly smooth. If you recall back in the old days, where digital pocket cameras where popular. The ones with plastic lens where total garbage that you wont' come near even with a 10ft pole. The good ones (and more expensive ones), had glass lens, and those where the interesting ones to consider.

IT_Freggel

I purchased the original one from MS. It fits perfectly and does not interfer with the pen. They even left out the little spaces for the dockingstation