What's new

Do Wirters Ever Review Products They Are Writing About.

GoGoDelicious

First, let me start out by saying that I am not a fan of any company, in this case Microsoft or Apple. I use the best product that fits my needs. Currently that is the SP 3, although I do have qute a few Apple products as well as MS products. Currently I am phasing out our Apple products and going with MS, specificlly the SP3 and hopefully in the future the SP4.

A few minites ago I happed to stumble across an artical entitled "10 Features Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Needs to Compete With iPad Pro." By the time I get to number 3 or 4 it became apperant that the author has not done his research and he has NO IDEA what he is talking about. 50% of the things he mentions are already available on the SP3.

Here is one example.
"Success for the Surface Pro 4 would be in delivering even more power than its competitor. The rumor mill says Microsoft could announce Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 models for Surface Pro 4, and if it did, that would mean the device would be far more powerful than the iPad Pro. Let's hope Microsoft takes that leap and goes with a high-end option."

Does he not realize that the SP3 has an option for an i5 & i7 already?

Another example is - "Several reports suggest Microsoft is considering launching a tablet that would come with up to 500GB of on-board storage. Let's hope that's true." Ummm . . the SP3 already has an option for a 512GB SSD not to mention there is an SD slot available.

One last example - "One of the highlights of Apple's iPad Pro is the range of high-quality smart accessories that come with it, including the company's Apple Pencil and the attachable keyboard. Microsoft should showcase some new peripherals of its own. . ." First the iPad Pro does not come with the Apple Pencil nor the Apple keyboard Cover/Case whatever they are calling it. But, the SP3 DOES come with the N-Trig stylus.

You can read the entire artical here - 10 Features Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Needs to Compete With iPad Pro

Again, I just like accuracy in a story. I had to vent.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Don Reisinger is a long time Apple Fanboy and anti-Microsoft he is also an independent writer whose writing is churned out with little research or substance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tje majority of independant writers seems to be more interested in ad revenue than accuracy. Unreleased products seem to be their forte

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah well, it's a very nice click bait piece, just right for the times and state of the Internet where you can get anything from fake code to fake news and fake reviews.

An opinion piece would require demonstrating some knowledge worthy of being regarded as an opinion however, it's devoid of anything even close. Citing misinformation is not an opinion.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, and generally any site that opts to make you click 10 times to read what could have gone on one page means the ad revenue is more important than the cintent so i juat walk away and find a more reputable site to read.

Kif

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    64.5 KB · Views: 652

leeshor

It's a shame, really. When I had a eWeek subscription, for many years, it was a well respected source of IT information. When it was in print it was in tabloid format, now it makes sense. ;)

I don't think this is anything specific to the writer being a fanboi. I think it's just plain poor quality and badly researched writing. I've seen plenty of fanboi's on both sides writing articles (pro or against) competitors which are well researched and well written.

I get the impression that some journalists start in this area and don't really want to be there but it was the only way they could get into journalism. I've seen similar crap written about the iPhone, Android and many other variations and they can all be attributed to journalists who don't actually understand what they are writing about. As someone mentioned previously, in some cases, writers thrive on simply baiting the public into responses on the premise that a badly researched article that has 400 comments about the author being an idiot is still getting hits for the publication.

Personally I think writing integrity went out the window a long time ago and it's not just with tech journalism.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think this is anything specific to the writer being a fanboi. I think it's just plain poor quality and badly researched writing. I've seen plenty of fanboi's on both sides writing articles (pro or against) competitors which are well researched and well written.

I get the impression that some journalists start in this area and don't really want to be there but it was the only way they could get into journalism. I've seen similar crap written about the iPhone, Android and many other variations and they can all be attributed to journalists who don't actually understand what they are writing about. As someone mentioned previously, in some cases, writers thrive on simply baiting the public into responses on the premise that a badly researched article that has 400 comments about the author being an idiot is still getting hits for the publication.

Personally I think writing integrity went out the window a long time ago and it's not just with tech journalism.
His fanboy status is achieved through his body of work over the last 5-6 years....he used to write for CNet and others....

Yeah, but what I meant is you can be a fan of a product and still keep your writing integrity by writing in an impartial way. I've seen many articles from both ends that achieve this. It's where you let your bias (or complete incompetence or lack of knowledge) show in your writing that you lose your integrity.

jrioux

Yeah, but what I meant is you can be a fan of a product and still keep your writing integrity by writing in an impartial way. I've seen many articles from both ends that achieve this. It's where you let your bias (or complete incompetence or lack of knowledge) show in your writing that you lose your integrity.
I don't think its always bias, but in many cases simply ignorance and rehashing the crap that you just read. There are way too many "articles" on the SP4 that simply repeat the partial rumors and biases conveyed by other writers. Speculating that the SP4 might has 256 GB SSDs, for example.