What's new

Solved Do SP3's with factory Windows 10 have a Windows 10 or a Windows 8.1 stamp under the kickstand?

Wondering if the new crop of SP3's coming from the factory with Windows 10 have a Windows 10 or a Windows 8.1 stamp under the kickstand. Can someone with one take a look and report back.

I just replaced (in store) my SP3 i7 for the 7th time in 12 months today after receiving another faulty replacement under the advanced exchange program.

I received an SP3 that had W10 pre-installed and can confirm that the print under the kickstand does NOT say windows 8.1 pro... instead the newer square windows logo is present and there is no 'windows 10 pro' printed

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose a few may have slipped through the cracks so if there are any they may become a collectors item like a misstamped coin or misprinted bill. Be on the lookout.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

I just replaced (in store) my SP3 i7 for the 7th time in 12 months today after receiving another faulty replacement under the advanced exchange program.

I received an SP3 that had W10 pre-installed and can confirm that the print under the kickstand does NOT say windows 8.1 pro... instead the newer square windows logo is present and there is no 'windows 10 pro' printed

Awesome. This is what I was looking for.

Telstar1948

...7th time in 12 months?????!!!!!!! Man, I thought replacing one 3 or 4 times was ridiculous, but 7?????

lonaysta

Is it possible to share the latest recovery image with us?

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

How would I go about doing that?
Go to Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface and download your recovery image.

While I must caution, I don't think anyone is allowed to post this image to this forum for copyright reasons. However it is more a grey area, since anyone with a SP3 is allowed and licensed to use this image. Those with 8.1 from the factory are not given the 10 image at the URL I posted above. I believe MS will post a 10 image for all some time in the future.

Mods, can we get a ruling on the field?

EDIT: They have spoken. Follow the above link to get the image. I would think this image would present a problem to a SP3 which never ran 10, because of registration. You would definitely need to go through and upgrade from 8.1 before using this.