What's new

Display driver problem (Surface 2)

Tony2000

I keep getting multiple error messages
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
and the tablet keeps refreshing the screen.
Not caused by any specific action. Can even happen while sleeping.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen an issue with Display driver on a S2 which makes me think yours might have developed a hardware problem. However, the standard trick is to uninstall the driver (do not remove it, & that's not the default) in Device Manager. The driver should auto reinstall but if it doesn't just reboot, you might want to anyway.

OP
T

Tony2000

I have never seen an issue with Display driver on a S2 which makes me think yours might have developed a hardware problem. However, the standard trick is to uninstall the driver (do not remove it, & that's not the default) in Device Manager. The driver should auto reinstall but if it doesn't just reboot, you might want to anyway.

I am inexperienced. If I remove the display driver, won't the display stop working?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am inexperienced. If I remove the display driver, won't the display stop working?
It should automatically reinstall. just DON'T check the box to delete the driver.

Open Device Manager, expand Display Adapters, open the properties of the adapter, on the driver tab hit the uninstall button.

Display may flash and it should reinstall the driver. Reboot if necessary or just for good measure.
There is a basic display mode to fall back to if there's an issue with the driver or adapter which is how it displays anything while it's running setup to do the initial installation or recovery.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tony2000

No! It soon came back. It appears it may be related to WiFi. It seems much less frequent if WiFi is dissabled, but that doesn't really help unless I am only reading downloaded books.

How do I proceed if it really is a hardware issue?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about disabling audio does that help?

My S3 seems to have similar issues as you describe and I swear it's drivers are stepping on each other. Display, Wifi & Audio in particular. also reinstalling the drivers does help but doesn't work forever you have to keep doing it although sometimes you get them aligned just right (by random luck) and it works for a long while. alas, this seems to be the fate of Windows, doomed to a Sisyphean like existence... pushing the stone uphill only to have it roll back to the bottom so you can start (or restart, reinstall) over again.