What's new

Disk Space Issue

MickeyLittle

My wife's laptop is Windows 8.1 and she has 21GB free out of 1TB. I want to put her iTunes library (500GB) on an external hard drive. I have a Seagate 2TB NAS external hard drive. This will probably take 12-24 hours over our network. We have U-Verse 12-18 MBPS or whatever speed it is.

Would it be faster if I did this move USB 3.0 to USB 3.0? If so how do I get this Seagate to even show up as a USB drive? I've tried plugging a USB 3.0 cord in but it just won't show up that way.

Sorry for all the questions.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @MickeyLittle ,

It is not a good idea to have your iTunes library on a networked drive. The software is not designed for that, since it reads and writes very often to the drive. Your performance would likely be dismal, especially since you are saying that it would take more than 12 hours to copy 500 GB, which is less than 700K per minute. That is a typical network speed from the year 1999.

You must have that hard drive connected to a WiFi router via USB right now? If so, unplug that, and connect locally to your loved one's computer. Yes, Windows 8 should recognize that drive. Let's concentrate on getting that to work.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Ok when I get home I'll unplug the ethernet cord to the hard drive and use a 3.0 cord from it to my wife's laptop. Hopefully the laptop will see it this time since I wiped the HD clean this morning by doing a Clear All right before I left for work.

Maybe it wasn't recognizing it in USB mode yesterday because it was labeled as a Network Drive.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Is there any tricks to moving iTunes from a desktop/laptop to an external hard drive? I am fixing to start and I believe I read somewhere to use the move command and not copy/paste.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Yes sir. It is working great. You saved me a ton of time and lots of headaches down the road as I'm sure having iTunes on a network drive wouldn't be near as stable or as quick as a hard wired drive!

Thanks Again!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Better is a bowl of vegetables where love is, than a plate of meat where there is hatred.
Better is a fast external drive with just enough space, than a slow networked drive with plenty of room.

:)